Curious... why are there no posts about yesterday's glitch?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by viguera, Oct 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess either nobody saw it (unlikely) or people wanted to make sure the bookings were kept to a minimum -- under the assumption that UA would honor these tickets as well as long as it's not millions of them?

Seriously though, I'm surprised that nobody has commented on the pricing mistake repeating itself.

iolaire likes this.
  2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    None of them ticketed, from what I understand. So you got the "confirmation" email, but not the e-ticket email...and UA is on record saying they will not honor them.

Wandering Aramean and viguera like this.
  3. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't aware of another mistake and so didn't take part. I'm going to write a letter and demand compensation for myself for not being allowed not to be ticketed. Or something ..... :p

4. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Easy counselor, you're the Chairman's Preferred Traitor.

HeathrowGuy and Gtitan like this.
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    What was the glitch? I saw tweet yeasterday from Mr. Pickels that made it look like something was up, and then this post: http://first2board.com/willrunformiles/2013/10/15/another-united-glitch-experience/, but I've not see what it was...

6. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, united.com has always had session management issues when viewing reservations or trying to make new reservations. I always make sure that I'm only trying to perform one task at a time on that website or else who knows what might get mucked up. When I started reading the posts about "start making an award reservation in one tab and then a paid reservation in another tab" it just seemed like the same issue, and indeed, it looks from FT like no one actually ticketed an award reservation without having the miles or a paid reservation without being charged the correct amount.

desamo likes this.
  7. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. You can't even view two already ticketed reservations at the same time (two tabs in the same browser). It will choke and display weird stuff sometimes.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup..session variables strike again. UA (and CO before) has had many issues with that approach to building the website. Remember when you could access someone else's account by having the SID= variable in the URL from their session??

Pretty bad showing in many ways.

genemk2 likes this.
  9. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's always been really frustrating to me when DH and I have our PNRs auto-split and then I'm trying later to do something with each reservation...I cannot open both accounts in the same or different browsers -- practically not on two devices in the same room -- but maybe that's a good thing, or we'd end up reserved on each other's itineraries!

viguera likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can open one in incognito/private browsing mode and it should work.

Flyer1976, unavaca, goalie and 3 others like this.
  11. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this going to just be a monthly glitch thing for United to get some bad press or what? I saw the thread on TOBB for just a few minutes, and then it was done. Interesting web issues for UA.

viguera likes this.
  12. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA has been pretty defensive about the whole thing, claiming that the previous $5 sale was due to human error, but this time it was due to "intentional manipulation" of the website. I think both are cases of human error -- get better programmers.

snap, goalie and katstarr like this.
  13. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well at least UA clearly and relatively promptly stated what they were going to do with this situation. Much faster than the reneging gnomes did, and with the added justification of a complex process causing this to happen as well as differences in price between the two windows...

14. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did anyone actually get a ticket without being charged either the correct number of miles or the correct number of dollars? I haven't seen anyone yet. I don't really see this as a "mistake fare glitch" but as "someone didn't understand one of the corner cases of how the website doesn't work, and thought they had hit a gold mine when in reality they had made much sound and fury signifying nothing".

clscholes and Wandering Aramean like this.
  15. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Macbeth doesn't fly UA. He's strictly a BA flyer.:D

Flyer1976 and Rob like this.
  16. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I need other information, I use two browsers, and the second one's either not logged in or logged into my husband's account.

Rob likes this.
  17. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I think that's the big difference. The previous ones were an issue with the back-end systems and they actually ticketed. This is nothing more than being able to make the website display fun things by screwing with it heavily.

unavaca and ssullivan like this.
  18. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    thank you for posting this! I didn't go into detail about the United malfunction - but more concentrated on "a day in the life of a mistake fare".

check out what's trending on Twitter! #HonorTheTickets!

iolaire likes this.
  19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

Fighting to get them to honor a "deal" such as this gives the community a bad name. The tickets were never issued. There was no obligation to issue them. Move on.

brfong, rggale, Flyer1976 and 5 others like this.
  20. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1.

rggale likes this.
  21. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    oh Seth - does my post sound like I'm putting up a fight? I was just telling the story - trying to keep it as judgment-free as possible. I understand all sides and I'm not really big on soap boxes..

snap likes this.
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I didn't read your post, mostly because I don't really care all that much. But the apparent support of the twitter # crap is enough for me to :rolleyes: at.

katstarr likes this.
  23. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    The whole whining thing is getting annoying. You (in a general sense) tried to game a glitch, you got caught, move on. People are trying to make it sound like it mysteriously happened, I'm all for gaming the system but it displayed the correct price the whole time just with a $ in front if the miles needed.

viguera likes this.
  24. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was going on late Saturday night, and I saw the posts on TOBB. There were reports that UA was upgrading or repairing something on the site, and for that reason alone, I looked. I needed a flight from DFW-MDE-DFE for Jan. and Feb. respectively, and after checking the fares, I plugged it in as a business class mileage award just for fun.

First off, I was surprised that as a 1K booking that far out (Jan. 25th departure), the only saver awards were on AV/TA. So I selected my flights and proceeded to see how they priced them. Imagine my surprise when it offered them to me for less than an E seat on either airline. So I bought it, got the confirmation, and it ticketed.

I'm still giggling about this. It is just short of the PQD spend requirement (MDE is not a cheap destination), I get to connect through SAL without having to claim and recheck my luggage at IAH, I spend less time in the air with a shorter overall travel time, I saved hundreds of dollars and I get to fly on those Taca E190s on all 4 legs in Clase Negocios. That's one of my favorite premium cabins.

I have no idea if this was an error resulting from their tinkering with their system, but it is now booked and paid for, with a ticket number. I'm in!

snap and katstarr like this.
  25. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I sit corrected; you're the first I've heard to actually have something ticket. No miles deducted?

rggale likes this.