Cuba Travel Recommendations

Discussion in 'Other North America/non U.S.' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Nov 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are looking at maybe trying to go to Cuba next year (with an official US Gov approved/certified tour). Has anyone here gone, and if so, what tour organization would you recommend (or not recommend, for that matter).

Thanks!

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  2. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I traveled to Cuba as a journalist in 2010.

There are no legal 'tours' to Cuba per se for US Citizens.
    I would highly recommend doing it independently (and legally).

The process is:
    1. Submit a request to the US government saying that you are going to Cuba to report on something there (just say you're a blogger) or say that you are doing a research project. Contrary to popular belief, US citizens are allowed to travel to Cuba, but just can't spend any money there (that's why you need permission). See http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1097.html for more info.

2. Contact the respective accredited travel agencies that sell charters to Cuba for quotes. I went with ABC Charters on an AA 738 & it was quite satisfactory. You'll need to fax your documents to the agency for processing.

3. Plan your tour to Cuba. It really is a great place. Lots of history & a great culture. Take a look at the WikiTravel for Cuba for tips. I wouldn't recommend checking a bag - there are lots of cases of items being stolen, so I'd just play it safe & carry on. :)

Also - if you take any prescription medication or have an illness, you can get treated in Cuba for free & get your meds at up to a 99% discount - yes, legally. Actually, their health care system is rated better that the US'. I know it sounds weird, I know some people that have done it with great results!

The only downside to going on a charter to Cuba is your can earn or use miles. :(

Hope that covers it all.
    Maybe it's just the journalist inside me, but Cuba is really a great place to explore yourself.
    I wouldn't spend a dime to bus around with a number of 'tourists' from Europe.

I'd love to see how your trip is - be sure to post a review on MP!

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking of something like http://www.insightcuba.com/

They started earlier this year after the administration relaxed the rules. Who knows what happens after the next election. The pendulum could easily swing back towards tighter restrictions.

I heard (read?) that just setting up a blog and calling yourself a journalist is insufficient for the US Government to approve travel (or rather... spending money in Cuba).

Apparently that might have changed since your trip? According to

http://www.insightcuba.com/faq-1/me...need-medical-insurance-to-travel-to-cuba.html

and some other sources Cuba now requires proof of insurance. If medical care was really free for US residents, why wouldn't everyone with a serious illness travel to Cuba, get their healthcare and then return (and maybe pay $7500 in US Gov penalties... consider it a copay) to the US.

Not a big deal.

If we go, sure. Maybe on my blog, too :)