Cruise to Alaska??

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by adamefimoff2, Mar 7, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. adamefimoff2

adamefimoff2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any good cruise lines that go to Alaska. I think my sister is going with two elderly cousins and two young very young kids. In addition they are very interested in academic high stuff, What would they like?

cheers

RenneStone and satman40 like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    US News and World Report Cruise Line Ranking: http://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/pr...-releases-the-2016-best-cruise-lines-rankings

Given your general desire for all things luxury, are you/they looking for a luxury experience?

I have gone to Alaska on Princess and enjoyed it. Plenty luxurious for my taste and needs (heck, I've been thinking of taking the ferry up to Alaska), but ... Crystal is probably more your style

What do you mean by "academic high stuff" -- lectures on board? Or naturalists on board and on excursions? I like Lindblad for their small ship experience with some decent learning along the way, but don't think it would be all that fun for very young kids (or people dragging very young kids around).

3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    academic, trip are often listed on the academic organizations web sites.

My wife has a possible trip up there next year, Seaborn cruises that area,

The Princes, or similar ship would be a great choice with children along,

Alaska is great to tour, after the ship docks. I try to make it once a year, when the Kings start to run, for a few dats..

4. adamefimoff2

Status Points:
    I was thinking of doing a cruise nothing' Luxury'

5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most Academic (read .EDU) sites, tend to have specific dates and to special places. I know a faculty who every alternate year does a long trip to Galapagos Isl. Not for the casual tourist. If that what you are looking for, it will probably exclude kids.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My recommendation would be anything but Carnival.

Zomby Woof likes this.
  7. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Holland America does 14 day R/T Seattle. Goes all the way up to Homer and Kodiak.

8. adamefimoff2

Status Points:
    I was thinking disney, silversea or regent for high end AI cruising

9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I grew up in/near Petersburg Alaska a small town of 3500 or so residents in the Inside Passage of Southeast Alaska. I recommend one of the smaller cruise boats that visit the Inside Passage if you can afford the smaller boat experience.

With the large mountains you will "see" more on a big ship in Alaska as compared to the low lying Caribbean but you will miss most of the wild and sea life.

With a small boat you will get close to pods of whales, sea lions, porpoises etc.. and likely get on land in completely remote places.

This looks like an ok story:
    http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1449
    Maybe of the companies may no longer be in existence but you can be sure similar smaller boats are plying the Inside Passage.

On some of them you stay in local hotels each night (the move the luggage for you), other larger ships have rooms on the boat.

anileze likes this.