Crucial airline tips for winter travelers

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Nov 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.usaweekend.com/article/20121102/LIVING01/311020005

[​IMG]

Flight cancellations and lost luggage can ruin even the best-planned holiday vacation. The key to a stress-free trip is having a backup plan.

Fly non-stop. The worst problems involve connections, so it’s important to take non-stop flights whenever possible. If you do have to make a connection, try to route through a Southern city, where snowstorms and de-icing delays will be less likely. Always allow at least two to three hours for flight connections.

Check the weather. Check the weather in your connecting city, not just the arrival and departure city. If your departure flight is canceled because of weather, you can go home or back to your hotel. If you’re stranded at your connection, you’ll be scrambling for a place to stay with or without your luggage. Airlines promise to get you on the next available flight, not the next flight. That could be several days later on a sold-out holiday weekend.

Go early. The earlier in the day you fly, the better your chance of getting rebooked the same day after a missed connection. It will also put you ahead of stranded passengers who arrive later.

Read More: http://www.usaweekend.com/article/20121102/LIVING01/311020005

daninstl and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent timing, thanks for sharing!

3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also like to have a list of the other possible flights so I know what options are available to me if a flight is cancelled. Also many times if they cancel you at the gate everyone will line up for help. It's better to call your travel agency, get online or call the airline direct, use nearby kiosks,etc than to stand in that gate agent line for help, plus you'll get ahead of that line for available seats on the next flight out.

sobore likes this.
  4. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another tip, if your connection is cancelled and are re-booked on the flight the next morning and you have the chance to retrieve your checked luggage, take the luggage and recheck it. Don't think that they will make it on that morning flight (if the flight indeed leaves)!

sobore likes this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought of another tip. If you are flying to a snowy or icy location make sure any rental car you reserve is front wheel or preferably 4 wheel drive, this really saved me on a trip into an ice storm in BWI a few years ago. My flight got changed to Reagan DC and had to drive to Baltimore at 4am in an ice storm. I thank a fellow road warrior that gave me that tip to upgrade to a 4x4 SUV as we waited for flight delays that day.

sobore likes this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good thought, the right type of car can make all the difference when winter driving.

daninstl likes this.