Crowne Plaza Times Square

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Clocktower, May 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Clocktower
    Original Member

Clocktower Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I stayed here 5 days last week (booked at the previous 25k rate, points and cash, $300). All I can say is I was underwhelmed.

When I checked in, the desk agent was flat and robotic, and proceeded to ram through my room assignment before I could say 'boo'. She literally tossed the room cards on the counter before I'd fully stepped up to the desk. Damage was:

No upgrade (in fact two twins when I'd requested a single King, granted I couldn't specifically book that on points)
    No club access (see above)
    No free wireless
    No breakfasts/drinks
    No goodie bag
    Not even the 'recognition of status' (Plat), although she did rattle off a monotone 'thanks for spending your POINTS (and not real money!) with us' which is a bit like salt in the wound.

The hard product was ok. Beds were comfy, room/halls well decorated and everything was clean and in good repair. TV channels were meager and often dropped off (satellite dish), insert "you're not there to watch TV" disclaimer. The non-upgraded view (some of the corner rooms have truly spectacular views of Times Square) was ok. You could just see Times Square if you got up against the window, but I'd hoped for better.

I realize it's a bit much to complain for staying nearly a week at about 80% discount (cash-wise), and probably they felt that was all they owed me. However, if I'd gotten just one or two of the above, it would have turned me from 'p*ssed off loyal customer' to 'reasonably satisfied loyal customer'. It doesn't take much, throw me a bone here. My wife chided me "Well didn't you ASK for an upgrade?", but no, after waking up at 3am, being crammed into a coach seat and missing lunch, I was not on my "A" game for a white-knuckled speed-negotiation. Nor do I like to feel like I have to take a fistfull of Adderall and three cups of coffee just to check into a room. I bet if I'd picked the IC just a couple blocks away, I'd have gotten plenty, given my track record with them.

Bottom line, I won't stay here again. In addition to the poor service, the only thing this CP has to offer in exchange for the high rates is location, and that location wears thin quickly. There are several cheaper alternatives just one or two blocks away. The problem with being right on Times Square is, as soon as you step out of the hotel, there's the crush of the crowd (everyone, it seems, is always smoking), and the loud, aggressive panhandlers for the homeless. You'd think that by day 3 they'd recognize me as a no-sale, but no. Every day, right there, in your face. One or two blocks away would have been cheaper, and much better.

On the up side, otherwise it was a good trip. Despite the TS panhandlers, nearly everyone else we encountered at NYC was extremely nice! I mean, what happened to the full rude NYC experience? I also never felt the least bit unsafe, even riding the subway (slightly drunk) at 2am. We scored discounted Broadway tickets at the TKTS booth, had some truly delicious pizza, and made fools of ourselves in a fancy restaurant.

sobore, thegrailer and uggboy like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd definitely reach out to the Priority Club people and the hotel manager. Just because you're staying on points doesn't mean you shouldn't get a full service experience, because at the end of the day the exact same thing happens: you decide that when it's time to spend cash, you'll go somewhere else.

As for the full NYC experience, I'm sorry to hear. Let me know next time you're in town and I'll go all out... stealing your phone, punch you in the head and might even grope you on the subway a little. We take our reputation seriously.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that the hotel receives far more than the $60 cash per night you paid. Don't let hotel employees treat you like a charity case, although I've unfortunately seen this attitude with long term or deeply discount corporate contract or AAA rates.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never understood why some hotels will treat you differently when you book with points. If anything that would make a loyal customer rethink whether they want to give a particular chain their business, if they get treated like second class citizens when it's time to reap the rewards of that loyalty.

sobore likes this.
  5. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a native NYer living in WAS. I stay at the CP in Times Square on cash and points b/c it is the best deal around (PLT Ambass). I agree with the description of the desk agents. Worse is the "manager" who guides the lines at check in and the so-called elite check in which closed in front of my eyes at check in time (no early availability to check on most trips). Outside of that, I have always had access to the lounge and free wifi. I believe there was water in the room too. As for the crowd, it's Times Square, what did you expect :D. It must have been especially tourist heavy since from my observations, natives don't smoke that much.

Cheers

6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. There should be no difference, in fact some properties go out of their way to make the award stay even more meaningful. Which is the way it should be as a way of thanking loyal customers.

viguera likes this.
  7. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    IC Times Square and IC NY Barclay are both excellent on point stays as a RA. I've heard nothing but horror stories about the CP.

rwoman likes this.
  8. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Time Square CP on Sunday night for a one night stay. I used my free night with my IHG MC. I was able to check in around noon which was great so I could drop my bag, freshen up and head out for my lunch reservation. I was offered free breakfast in the restaurant and use of the health club next door. I did not use either. My status was recognized and I was offered a lower floor with my requested view of Time Square or a much higher floor with a city view. The room was comfortable and in good shape. The bed was very comfortable. I heard very little noise from other guests. The bathroom showed a few signs of wear but nothing major. I had to wait for a second elevator when I went to check out but I think that is to be expected in such a tall building. The staff was pleasant and one of the bellmen almost got in an argument with a cab driver for me as I was trying to get a cab while it was pouring rain Monday afternoon. I would stay here again or I would try the IC which might be a little more convenient to the subway lines directly to Penn Station which is important to me as I usually take Amtrak on my visits to NYC.