Crowne Plaza Hong Kong - Review

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Nov 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wrapped up a stay at the Crowne Plaza Hong Kong in Causeway Bay. Great hotel and location works perfectly fine for me as a tourist. The hotel room is nice and modern with excellent service from the staff. I'd definitely go back again but beware, the wifi in the room was a little spotty.

What made this hotel great was the location with access to the Causeway Bay station off the MTR in Times Square. Times Square has some great restaurants inside including Lei Garden which I believe is the only 1 Michelin star dim sum restaurant. For really good food but for a more affordable price, Chung's Garden is located on the same floor of the Times Square complex (10th Floor) and has a cool modern design as well. The tea service at Chung's was very good.

Around the Times Square are tons of shopping and eating as well. Across the street from Times Square to the East is Ho Hung Kee Congee & Noodle Wanton Shop. It is a small hole in the wall type place but always packed due to the value priced tasty food for locals. Definitely a good place to stop for a break through your day of shopping. Edit: And if I'm not mistaken, this is also a 1 Michelin star restaurant.

Right across the street from Crowne Plaza is Sushi One which offers some pretty good values on Japanese food and they even have a conveyor belt if you haven't been to one before. It's pretty good and a definite good value in HK thus leading to likely lines in the evenings.

I've stayed at the Conrad previously and while I like the hotel and service a lot, the accessibility off the Admiralty stop of the MTR is convenient (especially walking completely indoors in the mall), the actual location had less to offer to me and felt more removed from HK life than Crowne Plaza HK's location in Causeway Bay... ultimately making this trip much more enjoyable.

2. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    We used to live around the corner from their. Great location

uggboy likes this.
  3. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    actually, there's at least two other 1 star rated dim sum restaurants, tim ho wan and one dim sum. ;)

uggboy likes this.
  4. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a great stay at this Crowne Plaza.

I had been staying in Hong Kong for 5 nights, and the Intercontinental Kowloon didn't have any points availabilty for the last couple of nights. So I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Causeway Bay.

I thought the service was great, the room was very nice, and I liked staying in the city, while I felt that the Intercontinental was a bit too detached.

uggboy likes this.
  5. lotso-bear
    Original Member

lotso-bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent award stay here last week. Surprised to get so many elite benefits...which may be the only IHG property in HK where substantial benefits are honored on award stays. Not a Club room technically, but they called it "Crowne Privilege" package, which included breakfast buffet, internet, and an evening happy hour with drinks and light snacks. The happy hour is actually at the rooftop bar/pool, so you do get the people-watch, or get an assortment of drinks. The room's internet worked well, and had bottled water as well. It was like being at a Hilton or Hyatt Regency. Very surprising.

For reference, I am an RA Plat, and also tried out the IC GS and HI Golden Mile last week. For the IC GS, I used an expiring Chase CC annual free night, and for the HI GM I used 25K PC pts. While both had decent locations, neither gave meaningful benefits.

The IC initially assigned a Deluxe Harbour View room (unrenovated), and then I agreed to the Club supplement of $600HKD+10%, and then they also upgraded to a Premier Full Harbour view. Note that the default is to assign an upgraded, but unrenovated room, to RAs on awards. However, no minibar, and no internet, but I did end up with internet b/c of the Club supplement. Big thumbs up for the Club, almost empty the 3 times I wandered through there (afternoon tea, evening cocktails, and breakfast). I guess the upcharge makes it fairly exclusive. The property also offered a free shuttle which was useful to get to places in the Kowloon area, like the Star Ferry and the other IC. Another note: they did provide the welcome amenities: plenty of bottled water, a fruit plate that included fresh lychee, a box of chocolates, other candy, and a stuffed bear in an IC GS utility uniform. I believe that the Club supplement also was a factor in getting so much candy.

I had a late evening flight (1145pm), so decided to burn 25K pts on an extended dayroom at the Holiday Inn Golden Mile, since the Airport Express shuttle stopped there, and it was across the street from K11/HR-TST/MTR TST. Being used to SPG, Hilton, and Hyatt, I expected to at least get internet access, but this was not the default...a discussion at check-in was needed, and I told her that I would leave by 9pm, etc., and then she relented and gave me internet due to my Platinum status. (Normal price: $140HKD) Also, she offered to buy-up to their Executive floor for $550HKD, this would have included breakfast and internet, and a decent deal if I was going to stay the night. But to be honest, if I was going to stay the night, then the Hyatt Regency TST was literally across the street, and where I would've stayed. There is also a lounge at this HI...so an HI where an upgrade would have been useful...but not given on award stays. In summary, if you are a Plat, and happy to get nothing but a drink coupon, then this is your place to burn pts.

I guess this is the future of the IHG program, you can burn pts for rooms, but expect a $ co-pay to get some of the useful elite benefits that you're accustomed to from SPG, Hilton, and Hyatt properties. But the positive result is a better and more exclusive lounge, since it isn't "free" for anyone.

6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience at most IHG properties for benefits on award stays is very poor. With IHG, I am accustomed to just getting the room which is just fine in some places where I'd like to spend most of my time outside the hotel anyway.