Crowne Plaza Brussels Airport

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Wurm, Feb 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Crowne Plaza is a business-oriented hotel of recent construction, located next to Brussels National Airport (BRU) in an office park area of the town of Diagem.The back side of the property abuts a small park, which looks like a nice place for a walk when the weather is more conducive than it was on the day of my visit.

Reservation: For a Sunday night reservation, I was placed in this hotel via bidding on Priceline. The effective price I paid, included all taxes and PL fees, was USD 91.50. This compares with a price on EUR 149 (all-in) on the IHG website for the same date, making it well worth foregoing the Priority Club points (weekend rates are much lower, given the hotel's remote location - see below).

Access: The hotel provides complimentary shuttle transportation to and from the airport, but only on weekdays. For arrival and departures on weekends and holidays, the hotel does NOT offer shuttle service. Instead, they will pay for a single taxi transfer in each direction. Because of this, staying here is not recommended for someone who is not renting a car but who wants to go into central Brussels for touring or dining (unless willing to pay for taxi to the airport, where one can catch the airport train to Brussels Central Station)

Arrival: Per hotel instructions, I called the hotel to ask for the taxi pickup. The driver arrived in about 15 minutes, carrying a hand-drawn sign with my name. Check-in was efficient; the clerk noted the pre-payment and took my CC for incidentals. He explained the breakfast times, and noted that dinner would be only served in the bar, since the restaurant did not operate for dinner on the weekends (Sunday night counting as a weekend night for this purpose).

Room: The rooms are arranged around an attractive central atrium.The furnishings are basic/modern (see photo), in light beige tones accented with light wood.

[​IMG]

Lighting is very good, making it easy to read at the desk or while reclined in the bed. The bed is comfortable, and is provided with good-quality linens and duvet. A proper desk with a comfortable ergonomic chair is also provided. The television is a "legacy" CRT set, however, the channel selection provides many options in a variety of languages. A door can be closed to isolate the sleeping area from the entry vestibule, which provides good isolation from potential hallway noise (although there wasn't any on this stay - in fact, overall soundproofing is very good, as might be expected at an airport-adjacent hotel).

The desk area provided a wall-mounted power outlet at desk level, meaning that one did not need to crawl on the floor to plug in the laptop power supply. High-speed internet at EUR 22,00 is both wired and wireless, although the wireless range is apparently only available in certain parts of the hotel. My room happened to be located within the wireless area, so I was able to use the wireless connection. Speeds were excellent: speedtest,net showed download speeds of 5.72 mbps and 5.28 mbrs upload, not shabby at all!

Bathroom: Excellent. both a full bathtub and a separate stall shower with full-length glass door are provided. The water pressure in the shower was awesome!! Two mini-bottles each of a decent-quality shampoo and body wash were provided, and a robe and lots of towels were provided (no slippers).

Food and beverage: I had dinner in the bar (since the restaurant was not operating), The seating at a corner table was OK - there are also "high-top" tables available (which I find uncomfortable for meals, YMMV). Only one bartender/waiter was on duty, but her hustled his asp off and provided good service to all of the partied in the bar (both for beverages and for those ordering food - he had to hustle down and back up from the lower floor, where the kitchen was located). The bar menu is very limited and quite pricey (examples, soup EUR 14, pizza EUR18, vegetable lasagna EUR 20, hamburger EUR 22, I opted for the lasagna, which was good (more veggie than noodle, veggies (mostly squassh/zuccini) tasted fresh), I didn't imbibe liquor; Coke Zero was EUR 3 and a small mineral water was EUR 2,50.

Breakfast was very nice, with a nice variety of hot and cold options. Many bread and cheese choices, smoothies and energy juice complemented the usual options. Cappuccino and espresso machine permitted self-service of these drinks; decaf (good) was provided on request. The restaurant overlooks the previously-mentioned park area, making for a very nice, calming atmosphere.

Checkout and departure: I had been charged for two breakfasts - although I am well-fed, I'm not THAT well-fed :D - the mistake was immediately corrected. The shuttle, when operating, runs every 20 min and deposits you at a bus stop just a short covered walk away from the entrance to the airport terminal itself.

Conclusion: If the location meets your needs, and if the food limitations on the weekends are not disqualifying, I recommend this hotel as a good option, especially when one has a flight the following morning,

TheBeerHunter likes this.