Crown Plaza London-the City

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Rosalia, Aug 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    First of all, which IHG hotel would the best in center London, and if Crowne Plaza London-the City offers to Platinum members access to the Club lounge? thanks for some advice.
    I am astonished to find out that nobody in this forum has ever been in this hotel. I thought somebody would help !

uggboy likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The City can be lower key on the weekend, which is why I've usually opted for other properties when I stay in London.

Are you coming here for business or vacation? What are your plans while you're here?

:)

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We've stayed @ The Crowne Plaza The City London in September 2011, but have never written a review here on MP about this property. Here it goes:

A few pointers from our stay incl.

The hotel is located in a beautiful restored building. Our purpose for our stay at the time was to visit this part of London, the St. Paul's cathedral area and the One New Change Development by the architect Jean Nouvel. Despite being on a weekend, this part was more lively and buzzy than anticipated. We've used the St. Paul's tube station for getting easy access for all that London has to offer.

We had a King Corner Room which included Club Lounge Access, the room itself had a good size, more like a Junior suite with king bed, dinning area and separate sofa for two section for LCD TV watching from here or from the bed. The bathroom stocked Molton Brown products, a high quality British range / now owned by KAO Corp. of Japan.

Regarding the club lounge, I don't know about complimentary access for Platinum members to the lounge, firstly at the time we'd GOLD and secondly, lounge access was included in the room rate, which was as I remember very good value [ as the overnight rate during the week can be very high ], because our stay was during a weekend.

Having said that, despite many pluses of the hotel, there are some minuses here, IMHO, the club lounge is not really worth it here, they offer only minimal breakfast selection and equally they offer only a minimal evening selection in terms of drinks, service and snacks. Simply, we've been to many better lounges before. [ the best lounges we had so far within the IHG system are all located at IC's ] While we had room-service lunch in this hotel, which was great in quality and reasonable priced, IMHO, the Reffetorio Restaurant is one to avoid, it offers Italian dishes, but the quality wasn't great, as was the service, the young lady did not know about key ingredients for example. The restaurant wasn't buzzy and was rather too dark for our taste.

Overall: We would stay again here, but only when the price is right and it makes really sense for us, location wise. While some aspects have been very good ie. room, bathroom, room-service lunch on our own dinner table, other aspects aren't that good, weak club lounge, weak dinner in restaurant. Adds up to 7/10 because of the nice room [ gorgeous design and details ], the beautiful building in which the hotel is located and our memorable lunch.

Regarding the best of IHG in London, this must be reserved for the IC Park Lane and the soon to be opened IC Westminster.

Here a few images of our King Corner Room and the side facade of the hotel, the sofa corner and our room-service lunch:

[​IMG]
    Untitled by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Safe travels!:)

Rosalia likes this.
  4. DCA Rob

DCA Rob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here on a 5-night award stay in November of 2011. They rooms are a good size for London, furnished very nicely, and extremely comfortable and quiet. The hotel is close to several tube stations and has very good access to bus lines.

With platinum status, they gave us free WiFi. We were initially assigned to a room on a regular floor. After asking about an upgrade to a club level floor, they were able to move us on the second night. The room was essentially the same size and comfort level, but with a different color scheme. We did not get access to the Club Lounge (and our key cards did not work). They offered to sell access to the club lounge for an outrageous nightly fee. (More than 35 pounds IIRC)

We ended up doing just fine without the continental breakfast. There are Starbucks, Pret-a-Manger, and other similar places.

We are heading to London again this November and this hotel is at the top of our list - especially for its comfort and for its location on some bus lines that take us directly to friends in South London.

uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's clear now that PC Platinum members do NOT receive Club Lounge access, IMHO you have NOT missed out.

I don't like the idea to stay on a Club floor without getting Club access.

Also of note, that they haven't upgraded you to one of the King corner rooms, who are more like junior suites.

Thanks for your great insights into this property.:)

6. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello Rwoman and thanks for your response : I am a tourist, have been several times to London but in the past; and have stayed in the ex IC mayfair. which other hotel would you suggest? thanks and regards.

7. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Uggboy, you are so kind and so helpful, many thanks for your comments and precise review.
    You did an excellent job, you dedicated so much time to submit all these details, thanks again.
    I just hope that the Club Lounge would be better in 2012.....
    BTW Platinum members have access to the Club, the hotel answered my question.
    Is it worthwhile to pay 136 £ per night to have this advantage? Just trying to decide in which hotel I would stay.

uggboy likes this.
  8. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:

uggboy likes this.
  9. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    DCA Rob, good news, the wifi is free. Glad to know that. Frankly speaking if I thought to chose this hotel is because of the Club Lounge, just to save some money on drinks and on the breakfast, a good idea?

uggboy likes this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks a lot Rosalia, my pleasure to help. Glad to know you contacted the hotel directly, it's confirmed that PC Platinum member get complimentary access to the Club Lounge. Great news. I hope now that the Lounge offers more breakfast choices / evening choices in 2012 than in 2011. [ of course it offers all-day beverages and in the evening alcoholic drinks, very nice, it's one way of saving a little and the money can be spent on other things while in this beautiful capital ]

When you can score this overnight rate [ 136£ ], receive an upgrade, plus get access to the Club Lounge, that's IMHO a great offer for London, especially as many " lesser " hotels tend to be equally priced.

The hotel overall is beautiful in many ways, incl. the rooms are very comfortable and modern, the location is near tube stations and bus services, St. Paul's cathedral is within 5 minutes walking distance, and the area is more lively and buzzy even on weekends we found out during our stay. Please let us know here in this forum what you decide.

Glad I could help, safe travels Rosalia.

11. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here I am again, decided and booked in Crowne Plaza London-the City.Many thanks again for this detailed review.

uggboy likes this.