Crowdsourcing The Best Travel Blog Posts

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by OneSweetWorld, Oct 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

OneSweetWorld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys Parag (FrequentFlyerUniversity) here. I'm in the process of beta launching a fun side project (while still working on Tripsy) called TravelMo.re and thought I would introduce it to the MilePoint community and ask for some feedback.

I built the site because I have a Feedly RSS feed and there are so many new travel blogs now that it is impossible to stay on top of the best posts while avoiding reading spammy credit card posts. I am sure many of you face this same dilemma.

Basicaly TravelMo.re is like HackerNews meets ProductHunt, where users can post blog links and categorize them into Airline, Hotel, Credit Card, Mileage Run, Trip Reports, and Everything Else, and then other readers can vote the top posts. In 1 look, you can see what are the top 10 posts of the day so you never miss the best posts.

[​IMG]

I am manually posting all the links now but the goal is to encourage users to post their favorite links and hopefully aggregate all the best posts from FlyerTalk, MilePoint, BoardingArea, F2B, Upgrd, MMS, TPG, FTG, etc in 1 central place.

Feel free to check out the site and let me know if this is something that you would use, if you are interested in becoming a moderator, or if there are any additional features which would help out the community.

-Parag

Slow_Mustang, Absolute99 and uggboy like this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like it. It reminds me slightly of hack.travel but easier to sort and I like the voting idea. I might use it and maybe interested in moderating after the first of the year (too busy for now). The only thing I don't like is the sniply pop up thing after you click on a link. Irritating at best.
    Good work. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw that this week and may main wonder is will this get around us seeing a huge number of similar posts for some random credit card offer? i.e. do the posts load automatically, or does someone have to submit them, and with voting will duplicate (message) posts fall off?

(I have hack.travel in my RSS feeds already.)

Answering my own question yes there is a robot feeding the stories, so the top three stores in the credit card area are all the Citibank offers:
    * How to Get 90,000 American Airlines Miles for $89 - And What You Can Do With Them - View from the Wing Credit Cards
    3 points by TravelMore Robot 18 hours ago
    * Citi AAdvantage 50k and Some Amex Sign-Up Bonuses Improved - Mommy Points Credit Cards
    1 point by TravelMore Robot 10 hours ago
    * Better Offer for Both Citi AAdvantage MasterCards: Now Includes Admirals Club Day Passes! - Million Mile Secrets Credit Cards
    1 point by TravelMore Robot 10 hours ago

Also of the home page the top 7 posts have 3 posts on the Delta "story" or "non story."

A good aggregation site needs to de-duplicate some of this content. Or maybe allow tagging to group these in a thread (i.e. Google News). There is no need to fill up real estate with variations of the same story.

4. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ya the only reason I have that pop up is to remind people to go back and vote the post up if it was good and not just be lurkers.

5. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am "TravelMore Robot" and am currently manually posting the links.

Thanks for the feedback, I think you are right in trying to group content together if it is a duplicate themed story.

iolaire likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck. I couldn't come up with a business model whig sufficiently respected copyright and also had a chance of making sufficient revenue to offset the effort required to manually parse so many feeds.

Happy to chat about how I did it with hack.travel if you want.

eponymous_coward and iolaire like this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get the reason for the popup but the average user is getting killed with these on every other website so it's not a plus for me. I would avoid the site because of it. Just saying.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are the "Comments" icons supposed to take you to actually see the comments? I don't really get the purpose of the "Post" page I'm taken to when I click on a link. There is still content there.

9. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps I will insert that every few posts as just a reminder. Thanks for the feedback.

10. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ya I am not sure what the end game is, just a fun side project to try out a new framework. I'll probably take you up on your offer and get some advice from your experience on hack.travel.

11. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ya that was a bug, fixed now. It is suppose to show comments but most people seem to be lurking and not commenting.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But it only shows comments added in your interface, not from the original post?

Without the context of the content from the original post I question how valuable that will be. And if you do pull the content to provide that context you're also likely violating copyright rules.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would I comment on your site and not on the site where the original post is, where my comment would be seen by a wider audience and be "in context"?

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  14. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always suggest that people build a bookmarklet for submittal of anything. That way people can submit links without leaving the page. But it requires a more technical user - especially for mobile safari.

For example a bookmarketlet like this that posts url's to your blog:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Press_It

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  15. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if commenting is a necessity I was just trying it out. No one has really left any comments yet so it might get scratched.

16. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Great question. I have a blog and my issue with comments on blog posts is that it is all very passive. People can fill out comments and I can respond on my blog but then it is up to them to go back and dig thru the posts and see if there has been a response. I never know if they have even seen my response. My solution obviously isn't perfect but if you leave a comment on the TravelMore post and someone else responds, like a Facebook alert you will be notified. I'm still not set on if I am keeping comments or not so we will see. Thanks for your feedback.

17. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That is a great idea and definitely something I will think about adding in the future.

18. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    A plug for my food and travel blog, http://buildingmybento.com/ ...which is also in the sig. line.

Anyway, if anyone has questions about visiting Jakarta, Tokyo, Shenzhen/Hong Kong, and/or Bangkok, please let me know!