Crowd-sourcing flight deals

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by funkdoc, Oct 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. funkdoc

funkdoc New Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys, I would like present you a little website called jetlaggin that we created.
    The idea behind Jetlaggin is to provide users with information on the best ticket prices offered worldwide. So we created a crowd-sourcing flight deals page. Its a platform where you can search for flights deals or you can share them (anyone who logs in can add their flights). We just started the project so we would really appreciate any suggestions how can we make things better or what we should not do. (we will block any FD tricks)
    We were also thinking how we can reward the users that share their flights. How would you like to be rewarded?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
    iolaire likes this.
  2. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this the premise of Skyscanner, but with rewards and specific user tracking?
    IMO, miles are always a good incentive :)

iolaire likes this.
  3. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    First of all be more open in your signup :) The world is not facebook and google, is it ?

alfagirl, iolaire and traveltoomuch like this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint. We love seeing new ideas for the traveler and let us know how we can help. P.S. I changed your post so that the Jetlaggin bane is a hot link.

anileze likes this.
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    (I did not sign up so I'm not aware of what is past the log-in. In that light it might be good to have an about page that shows the tool's UI so someone can investigate it before committing.)

Please create bookmarklets that will allow us to scrape prices from other sites and upload them to your site. That would allow people to easily submit prices. I doubt I'd take the time to go enter a forum with pricing data.

Why and how do you plan to do that? Many good offers come out these days with non-standard routing open jaw routing, especially in the EU.

Also just a suggestion, but right now there is little to look at deal wise on your home page - is that all you have or just a sample? If you want people to start submitting their own finds you will need to first make it a go to place for good flight suggestions. To do that you probably need to aggregate the offers that are out there on the internet and find some of your own. Maybe get a international contractor to aggregate information daily for a few dollars an hour.

Also the search box is nice, it defaults to San Jose for me, but when you search nothing is found. In that case the nice looking UI doesn't seem necessary yet...

anileze likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be okay with using Google for authentication purposes, but the permissions requested include: "View and manage your Google Contacts" -- and that's for me a deal-breaker right there. Don't see why the site would need or deserve that.

7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. funkdoc

funkdoc New Member

Status Points:
    Tnx, we will consider that.

9. funkdoc

funkdoc New Member

Status Points:
    The bookmarklets are a great idea. I will talk with our developer about that.
    About FD tricks, I was thinking about 3x, 1x tricks. We are trying daily to add flights to the page. But for now we are doing that by our self.
    Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.

iolaire likes this.