Crossing into Canada by car from NY: Via Rouses Point not I-87 to 15

Discussion in 'Other North America/non U.S.' started by Analise, Mar 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone done this? Waiting at the border where 87 becomes 15 can take over an hour. I'm wondering how the lines are at Rouses Point and how easy/quick it is to cross and then get to Highway 15 into Montreal. Thanks.

2. East_Yorker
    Original Member

East_Yorker Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on where you are starting in NY, consider trying the ferries through Wolfe Island - I've found it faster than 81 and it's a wonderful break in the journey. We discovered it by accident and can't wait to do it again! The most border crossing ever!

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is an interesting web page that may be helpful: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com...7257-best-border-crossing-new-york-state.html

Excerpt:
    From my experience, at the very high peak tourist times, Rouse's Point may be faster, but usually Champlain has many lines open and Rouse's Point only has one lane. It is always hit or miss with Fridays being the worst. But to be honest, it will take you much longer to get back into the US than to get into Canada.

5. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    We didn't go to Rouses Point nor to the one on I-87. We went to the one directly in the middle and it was great. Nobody was on line heading north nor was there anybody heading south back into NYS. This was GREAT!!!

Tinkerer likes this.