Crossborder Car Rentals

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by chef4u, Oct 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought general discussion would work, rather than a specific car rental company.

Does anybody have experience renting a car in Canada, crossing the border into the US, spending a few days there and then returning the car back in Canada?

Some companies don't allow this, while others might. Any insight/recommendations is greatly appreciated.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never had a problem with it. I've rented twice (in Toronto and Saint John, NB) and told the car rental company that I intended to take the car to the US. Neither cared.

If you're concerned, pick who you like, then call their local office before you book and verify if it's alright.

marcwint55 and chef4u like this.
  3. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which company/companies did you use?

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't be an issue; we've rented numerous times for trans-border trips, including many one-ways, using Budget, Hertz, Avis, National... others I think too. Note until recently there was a real problem with Canadian residents renting US-plated cars and driving them into Canada - big troubles with the tax man, but a recent court decision in Canada has eased this problem. If you were returning a Canadian-licensed vehicle to Canada, it wouldn't matter anyway.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've rented in the US (Detroit area) and taken the car to Canada and back. I believe we used Hertz. No problems.

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've rented in several US locations and crossed into Canada with no problems. The only thing I would be certain of is that you have insurance that covers you in both countries.

7. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never had any issues with National or Hertz doing that. Going the other way, US to Canada, you need to tell them so they can give you an insurance card. On One-Ways, I usually remind them, so they have an opportunity to get rid of a one-way car that they don't want.

8. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check with your credit card company. Most decent travel credit cards include insurance if you pay for the rental using that card.

9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also check with your primary car insurance provider. Some will cover you on the rental car in Canada. Many offer coverage in the USA but most don't cover you in Mexico

10. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the delay. National at YYZ, and I believe Avis at YFC. (I obviously don't rent enough to get benefits so I tend to rent whoever's cheapest.)

11. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only Mexican insurers can provide coverage in Mexico. Some car rental companies (e.g. in San Diego) will sell you Mexican insurance with your rental if you ask. Given the security state in the Mexican border zone, I'm happy to keep my car north of the border.

daninstl likes this.