Cross-Blanketing Update

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, May 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few months ago, the nice multi blue-hued blankets that United had to help you keep warm during flights started getting swapped for a dark blue thin guaze like material "blankets." I use quotes, since the new "blankets" didn't actually provide any warmth.

On my flights the other day, I noticed that the flimsy blankets had been replaced. These new "blankets" can be best be described as being dark blue table cloths. So while not see-through like the last iteration, they still don't really provide the one thing a blanket is supposed to do: keep you warm.

Even though planes tend to get chilly at cruising altitude no matter what time of year is, hopefully we'll get real blankets back in time for the Northern Hemisphere cold season.

seaflyguy likes this.
  2. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a legacy blanket on a recent ORD-SAN flight.

3. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since CO is all about standardization, if you see one of the legacy blankets on board your flight, consider doing Jeff a favor by removing it. It will help them have a consistent blanketing scheme more quickly, and I think he'd like that.

karenkay, Jslo and Black Cloud like this.
  4. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilarious. The whole blanket thing is kinda lost on me, b/c for some reason I am always hot on flights. Especially transpacs seem to heat up about 2/3 of the way over. I usually fall asleep comfortable after a meal, and wake up clammy a few hours later. I have considered it is the age of the UA FA's on these routes turning the temp up since the cabin is so "cold"...... Sorta like my grandmum's apartment is "cold" (80 degrees!) at her assisted living center.

Scottrick likes this.
  5. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw the gauze blanket on 4/27 UA SAN-SFO. The new navy blue ones were on board SFO-BWI.

6. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless it has recently changed, fortunatley the international and p.s. flights have the white soft Westin heavenly blankets.

It is only the domestic/narrow body fleet that has been subjugated to the CO cross-blanketing.

7. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA metal 3-cabin transcons (e.g. LAX-IAD) still get the nice international blankets in F/J, at least as of my last trip (April).

sunseeker and Jslo like this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I am only every cold when seated in the exit row on a TPAC. But even then it's worth it for the leg room. My gf is the one who get's cold.

9. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Both iterations of the new "blankets" are close to useless for their intended purpose. Assuming their intended purpose is to keep one warm.

10. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gauze 5/10 BWI-ORD and ORD-SAN

11. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, given their weight, I'm guessing their intended purpose is mostly as a repository of germs to pass along to any passenger foolish to use them.

12. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    My son used to work the ramp at a small station where they both loaded bags and cleaned the planes. He once said, "If the blanket doesn't come out of the plastic bag, DON'T TOUCH IT!"

13. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've sometimes wondered if they're actually laundered before going into those bags, or simply folded and sealed.

14. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is true that sometimes they seem fresher than at other times. Could the gauze blankets possibly withstand commercial washing? It seems highly unlikely.

Infinite1K likes this.
  15. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    That might be why they went to the "sturdier" table cloth like material.

While they don't provide any warmth, they should be able to handle a few more cycles in the commercial washer/dryers.

16. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Again, like the attitude towards airline food, the attitude towards blankets is amazing.

A long time ago, my boss' girlfriend was an FA on Alaska. Said the time thing others have said here, that blankets are sponges for germs. In my travel time, I'm seldom surprised at what people (passengers and crew) use the blankets for.

If the blanket thing is bothersome enough, please, switch allegiances to other airlines.

17. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Honestly it's not just the blankets. It's not just the food order sequencing. It's not just the boarding order. It's not just that 1K's will get fewer regional upgrade certs. We are just noticing all the small things that are slowly making the 1K experience less attractive. And every few days another devaluation is revealed. We are commenting on these changes and considering our options.

I truly wish the blanket were the only change that is bothering me!

Infinite1K likes this.
  18. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the response of "like it or leave it" is particularly helpful.

sunseeker likes this.
  19. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    -1. The "if you don't like it, go somewhere else" refrain is tired and cliched at this point. I think we all get that. I think we all get that we can go somewhere else. We're here, in part, to discuss how to make our favorite airlines better. If the answer to any complaint is "if you don't like it, go somewhere else," then I'm not sure what the point of these boards is. Mindless cheerleading?

Infinite1K and sunseeker like this.
  20. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    My FA the other day thought the gauze blankets were a mistake in F, and that they were Y blankets incorrectly loaded.

At final trash pickup, I try to hand the gauze blanket to the FA with a comment, "These new ones are disposable, right?" I usually get a good reaction out of that. :D