Crooks alert

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by deltagoldLass, Apr 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. deltagoldLass

deltagoldLass Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a gold elite at IHG

I stayed at holiday inn west Staten Island on an advance pay cost
    It was OK for accruing points
    Upon checkout I noticed I was charged $25.00 which went through on my CC
    I asked why
    Ans: we do that regularly for extras
    I said: I understand HOLDING a sum but not charging and asked for immediate compensation in addition to points for my inconvenience
    This was a WEEK ago
    No refund no letter of apology nothing
    Essentially they stole $25,00 dollars from me!
    What crooks
    Ideas e help please
    Thanks
    Namaste

2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Contest the charge when your credit card bill comes. Explain the situation to AMEX or whoever issued the card. Hotel would have to show the reason for the additional $25 charge.

Usually if you buy something, use the mini-bar, or bill meals or drinks to your room, those purchases appear as separate line items on the invoice; the lack of any such item would support your case. Do you still have copy of your invoice?

traveltoomuch and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can we assume that this is not a $25 resort fee? I would hope so for this location, but increasingly non resorts are trying to charge resort fees.

blackjack-21 and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like the Westin in that oh so hot resort spot of Itasca IL!!!!:D

5. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few weeks ago my wife and I stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn that we've stayed at frequently over the past few years, because it's convenient for our travels and is well maintained with a good staff. Last night of the two night stay when I read the folio that was slipped under the door, I noticed two new charges, one a "Facility Fee", and another a "Destination Fee" of some sort to pay for the area's advertising. Small amounts, including a seperate tax on those fees, that totalled over $7.00 per night. Since they had no signs on the front desk nor on their website when I made the booking, to inform us in advance of those new charges, I disputed them when we checked out, and was told they were newly instigated by management, and were to cover business center use, pool use, and may eventually cover use of the parking lot, which is the only "extra" we had used . All of those which are usually free to all guests at a HGI, and which I more recently saw advertised by HGI in one of their TV ads. At any rate, they quicky removed those extra nuisance charges, and had they not done so I would have first followed up with Hilton corporate, and then my CC company.

Small amounts, different company, but nonetheless equally annoying. And happening more often then not, so check your folios carefully before checkout, and if billed for something after you've left that shouldn't have been charged, don't let it pass as it will continue to happen to others.

gconnery and B1BomberVB like this.
  6. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    all these small charges are annoying and seem to be coming more common

at the same time few of us have time to be disputing charges or spending too much time trying to correct wrongs

I usually just go straight to tripadvisor and write a scathing review that will certainly cost the hotel more than the $25 (or$7) they got off you :D

gconnery, B1BomberVB and blackjack-21 like this.
  7. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did both! ;) And having the FD remove the charges only took five minutes or so before we checked out. If many people just let them pass without questioning them there'll be less chance of others getting them removed at later dates, or ultimately, more nuisance charges attempted.

gconnery, WilliamQ and jonspencer like this.
  8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    A charge for "pool use" :mad: What's next a charge for bed use?

WilliamQ likes this.
  9. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    DeltaglassGold, My idea :
    Write to IHG Rewardsclub and submit the case.
    Write a review on Tripadvisor, and another one on the IHG Website
    Write again to the hotel and ask for the reimbursement of 25 dollars.
    and keep us informed of the results.

10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well... since you asked...how about charging you for
    > Air Conditioning
    > Entertainment Package (aka TV)
    > Towel Rental and Toiletries
    > Internet Connection
    > Hairdryer
    > Early Check In
    > Late Check Out
    > Room Cleaning
    > In Room Safe

Proudly brought to you by AirAsia - The new age of budget hotels.
    http://www.tunehotels.com/gb/en

Great write-up on this at LoyaltyLobby here http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/03/03/tune-hotels-amenity-unbundling-gone-too-far-pay-for-ac-towels/

11. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Technically, I guess since the pool is one of their "facilities" they could argue that since it's not in your room they could charge more for using it (not that I agree with that), and a charge for bed use could mean you've rented a room and are charged for that, now either bring your own sleeping bags, pillows, and a stand alone tent if needed, or an additional bed charge will be made. Ridiculous charges seem to be popping up everywhere, begun it seems by the airlines deciding to charge for checking a suitcase, and charging for snacks and meals in economy classes for domestic flights, and now hotel properties charging "resort fees", "destination fees", "eco fees" and assorted other add-ons for what were once included in airline ticket's costs and hotel room bookings have now become so commonplace that the public seems to have accepted them all without so much as a resounding wimper, leading the "chargers" to add more items to the "chargees".

A long time ago, an airline ticket included a decent economy class meal, and paid for their transporting you in one seat from point A to point B without any extra charges other then the tax on the ticket, and it also covered checking a bag and your portion of the fuel that they needed for that flight and crew and maintenance costs for the aircraft. Nowadays a fuel surcharge appears, you pay for checking a bag (elites excepted), and if you want to sit in a slightly better coach seat nearer the front of the aircraft, you'll pay extra for that too, unlike when it was first come first served as to finding a better seat in coach without paying extra for it. Other airlines just charge everyone for booking a seat in advance, including in some instances, even their higher paying elite customers flying in front cabins, or haven't we noticed?

WilliamQ's link above shows how far a hotel group is willing to go.

And because the traveling public has accepted and paid all of the above, there's no reason for the airlines and hotels not to keep laying them on. Competition between different brands and companies used to help keep costs to the consumers in check, but the loss of that competition over many years hasn't been at all favorable for the public.

When's the last time you've seen gas station's price wars that were so common years ago?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    estnet likes this.
  12. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...."Package Delivery Fees" - $7.50 to $15 - I've been charged it at the Hilton Midtown Mahnattan, the Hilton Miami Beach, and the W Hoboken.

The one that always annoys me is the automatically added tip (Hilton Midtown) on any bills in the bar. Took too many nights to educate the staff that they get a better tip from me without it.

B1BomberVB and blackjack-21 like this.
  13. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Been to Vegas lately? ;)

dh

blackjack-21 and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just looked at my bill from HIR in Aruba and I noticed this charge: Room Service Charge $29.32 for each of two nights. We didn't order any room service so I have no idea what is this for. I guess I'll give them a call.

WilliamQ and blackjack-21 like this.
  15. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't get it. Unless they can control who uses the facilities, such as the pool, gym, etc. they cannot charge per usage. Therefore, I assume hotels are charging every single guest for these extra costs. How are these costs not already embedded in the price of the hotel room?

It all comes down to, we want to pay for what was advertised. Let's say a room was $100 for the longest time, but eventually the prices went up to $125 and never dropped back to $100. Then at least we know when we booked the room it was for $125, so we know what we are paying for. I don't get why they have such a hard time including everything in a single price, unless they really do keep track of usage, in which case they should tell us ahead of time that those additions come with a cost (like the wifi/Internet).

estnet and blackjack-21 like this.
  16. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    And this is the response I got right now from the hotel. This is hard to believe:

Dear XXXX,

The room service charge is for the housekeeper.
    That is one of the taxes that all guest have to pay.

Kind regards,

Shereen Sewbaluck

OY-JFS, estnet and WilliamQ like this.
  17. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a Holiday Inn recently charge me extra for using an Amex card -- I didn't complain, but got even by putting a review up on Trip Advisor about that particular hotel.

Needless to say, I won't be using that facility again.

DTWBOB

LETTERBOY likes this.
  18. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does this means that with an extra tax on housekeeping, tips are no longer expected?
    Regardless, was this on the initial "quote"?

19. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If enough people complain about stuff like this, that's what will probably happen. They're not going to stop charging for anything, they're just going to roll it into the overall price, or rename it to something that will pass the smell test.

20. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    EXACTLY!!! I guess hotels have finally figured out that the airlines have been getting away with this kind of hijacking, so why can't they enjoy their fair share of revenue grabbing?

ella, LETTERBOY and WilliamQ like this.
  21. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. Extremely hard to believe. Wouldn't it have to be disclosed to you at least by check in? Will our favorite @Counsellor weigh in? ;)

Counsellor and foxberg like this.
  22. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    from the original post I am sure many MPers would question just how elite Gold is at IHG

so the over-charge might be in tiers $30 for Silver, $25 for Gold, $20 for Platinum :rolleyes:

blackjack-21 likes this.
  23. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen the automatically suggested tip somewhere also (can't remember where, sorry, and my wife if busy zzzzing at this hour, so I can't ask her where right now), but it's something we'd never seen before in a restaurant....printed on the bill that the server hands you in the fancy vinyl/faux leather folder was a column of "suggested tips" shown in both the different percentages, starting at 10 percent and going up in several increments to 20 percent and based on the meal AND the tax, and then showing the figures for each percentage in dollars and cents in case we were too slow in figuring out the different percentages on our own. Seeing that so annoyed us that they got a much smaller then 5 % tip left for them, with a hastily scribbled note on the bill as to why.

The meal and service in the restaurant was good, but because of the inferred tip required on the bill, they blew their chance for a more appropriate toke.

And an 18% service charge added to the room service meals doesn't go over well with us either.

(Wife just got up for her early cuppa tea, and she remembered the newly suggested tips list was at a hotel's restaurant in Fort Lauderdale). So it seems to be spreading. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  24. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The HGI I mentioned above hasn't yet started watching and charging for each usage of the business center, pool, exercise room, etc. so at this point it's just the new general extra fee(s) they're trying to get their guests to accept and since Hilton is still advertising their complimentary usage (at least for now) they (the management there) shouldn't be trying out those new charges at that property that no doubt some guests accepted quietly when checking out.

25. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sure hope you put this on tripadvisor and also contact the corporate team for the hotel chain!

foxberg, WilliamQ and blackjack-21 like this.