Croatia or Greece?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ericb, Aug 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    My friend and I heading to Europe for about a month and we thought it would be cool to try out either Greece or Croatia for about a week. We're both guys in our 20's and enjoy good food and vibrant nightlife (maybe not trashy, but fun and unique bars and festivals are a plus). Cultural sights would probably be a part of the trip, but I don't think either of us has our heart set on seeing every minor landmark in a city. Probably 1-2. In Croatia, Split, Hvar, Dubrovnik and maybe a jaunt to Montenegro would be on the menu. For Greece, it would be your typical Athens, Santorini, Mykonos, though I think we're open to other islands provided there are exciting things to do.Hell, why not throw Turkey in there?

We're planning on going from 9/17-9/25, so a few questions:

1) Given our dates, will it still be "tourist season"? Want to avoid completely empty beaches and shuttered ho(s)tels

2) Any particularly unique SPG or Hilton options? We each have 2 free hilton nights and a number of starpoints to burn. Though we're also open to AirBnB and hostels if particular cities in either country lend themselves well to those types of accommodations (I've heard the Greek islands are a but more "honeymoony")

3) Will logistics be an issue given the trip length? I don't want to be wasting entire days on multiple ferries. We'll be in DUB before and MUC after (for Oktoberfest), any transit-related issues to be aware of?

Thanks all!

Eric

Sweet Willie, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. Most tourists will be gone in Greek Islands, however; Dubrovnik, Athens are sprawling metropolis and tourists are not the only game in town. Nightclubs do exist which cater to more than backpackers and more..

3. Seven days ? At best you should try one maybe two places, more than that is not really worthwhile.

Sweet Willie, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  3. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    A little late for Mykonos( is not only honeymoon , it is a very "IN" place AND Santorini-- yes many on honeymoon , but not like some places that are for "the newly wed or nearly dead", the two islands will be windy ,season is at the real tail end in mid Sept

-- Athens will be alive and many things to see and night life jumps, many places to party !! either in Athens or by the sea -- weather is usually very good in Sept , not what I call a "cheap" city for drinks -- food at all levels -- Athens is open minded in some ways --Athens has a Hilton that was re done--- and a Starwood is on Constitution square,which I thick is the best hotel in Athens by far ---and not expensive for what it is --- on santorini and mykonos more starwood but they be closed ----

If I was your age ,I would leave turkey out , till I had a wife etc etc -- -----by Anglo Saxon standards-- not a jumping place with open minds - I assume you read the news papers --I was once in a taxi in Istanbul , kissed my wife -- I heard the horn honk an thought nothing of it -- 5 minutes later my wife kissed me and the driver stopped the car GOT OUT SCREAMING and wanted us to leave -- the kiss was the type a spouse would give to the other when they want to say --I love you-- later I thought of the movie Midnight Express

uggboy likes this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that September may be a very politically hot month in Greece. It's after the German elections, and right on schedule for the next money squeeze on the country. As we've observed in the past, shut downs of tourist sites and infrastructure is a possibility during such periods.

uggboy and anileze like this.
  5. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    These are all great recommendations. Thank you! Do you really think the islands will be that dead? Would splitting the time between Athens and Dubrovnik perhaps be a better alternative? We just spent the past week in Seychelles, heading to the UAE and Dublin, so I'm thinking we'll really be ready for nightlife by the time we hit the EU again. Any compelling reason to save the islands for another trip?

6. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There will still be limited tourist season in southern part of Croatia, and on some Greek islands, but nothing too extreme... At Croatian coastline there is only one Hilton, in Dubrovnik; good property, alhough some claim that it could use overhaul soon...