Crew is pulled from Delta commuter jet; flight to MSP canceled

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, Feb 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.startribune.com/local/139702933.html

A commuter flight from Grand Forks to Minneapolis-St. Paul was canceled after its three crew members were taken off the job, a spokesman for the airline operating the flight said Monday.

Scheduled to depart shortly after 1 p.m. Sunday, Delta Connection Flight 3743 was scrubbed before boarding began, said Joe Williams, whose Pinnacle Airlines operates the flight.

While Williams would not say what prompted the sudden action involving its pilot, copilot and one flight attendant, he did say that "the safety of our passengers and flight crew is our first priority."

He also volunteered that Pinnacle has more strict standards than the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) when it comes to how long before a flight that crew members must abstain from drinking alcohol.

mattsteg, rwoman, DeltaExpert and 3 others like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, this sounds like another case of one or more crew members doing something stupid. If the problem was the twelve hour rule, that would be 1 am unless preflight check time count too. AFAIK the crew would have been MSP based and should not have overnighted in Grand Forks for a 1 pm departure as I don't think they would have left the plane parked there overnight and then all morning unless it's a Sunday schedule variation. Depending on the location, I think most bars around MSP would close by 1 am, although it might be 2 am in some downtown neighborhoods, especially on Saturday night.

3. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    What happens in Grand Forks stays in Grand Forks....

ryandc99, mattsteg and rwoman like this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Arrive a guest, leave a legend!

rwoman likes this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.devilslakejournal.com/newsnow/x1793847101/ND-flight-was-canceled-due-to-drunk-attendant

ND flight was canceled due to drunk attendant

A police report says a drunk flight attendant was the reason for the canceling of a weekend Grand Forks-to-Minneapolis flight.
    Police have turned their report over to the airline because it is not a criminal matter. Pinnacle Airlines and the Federal Aviation Administration both are investigating.
    The flight attendant was identified as a 51-year-old woman from a Twin Cities suburb. She was taken off the plane when it flew in Sunday from Minneapolis. The return flight was canceled and the 30 passengers placed on later flights.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    So she did spend the night before this flight in the MSP area, not at Grand Forks. I wonder what made them suspect that she was drunk on the flight to Grand Forks and when it was not detected before they left MSP that morning.

Note also that now they're saying that she was drunk, not just that she consumed alcohol within twelve hours of the flight.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Local TV is reporting that the FA's alcohol level was twice what is legal for driving in ND, but apparently is downplaying that she flew MSP to Grand Forks earlier that day.

ryandc99 likes this.
  8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wild guess is that perhaps she was behaving erratically on the inbound flight. Either that or the plane was short a few woodfords on arrival.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks bad that this wasn't noticed before the outbound flight left the ground in MSP. The fact that apparently the plane was met on arrival suggests that the pilots reported her during the flight. I don't think the aircraft would have had GoGo WiFi, so it couldn't have been one or more passengers tweeting to DeltaAssist or something.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. whitedeer

whitedeer Member

Status Points:
    at twice the legal limit, wouldn't her co-workers be able to smell it?

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe not. The early reports sounded like the problem was that the FA had been drinking less than 12 hours before the flight, which presumably would have been very late on Saturday night into the wee hours of Sunday morning.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    She must have been drunk enough that she was under the illusion that no one would notice and that she'd get away with it.

sobore and LETTERBOY like this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be drunk the next morning sounds pretty extreme. I wonder how she expected to do her job with a bad hangover.

sobore likes this.
  14. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The hair of the dog?

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably. The press in ND is suggesting that she drank three vodka miniatures on the outbound flight on Sunday morning. The empty little bottles were found on the aircraft but they claim that no drinks were served to passengers. AFAIK this would not be enough to get to the .185 BAC which was reported, so the guess is that she also had some drinks very late Sunday night.

16. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    They no longer serve drinks on MSP-FAR, so it seems like that would be the case for GFK, too. But where was she hiding this drinking? Was no one in row one? I've sat in row one of a CTT, and it's pretty obvious what the FA is doing at any time.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  17. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention the smell due to close proximity in the aircraft.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they don't serve drinks on the FAR flight, what happens if one has the HOOU coupon that printed with the boarding pass? Do you mean that no alcohol is loaded and they serve soft drinks only, or no beverage service, or no fluids available, or what? Is the issue flight time, the Connection carrier, the aircraft type or what? I'm asking because I have a small RJ flight in a few days and I'm hoping to get a HOOU coupon or use one from my stock.

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought vodka wasn't supposed to smell.