Crediting of Miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by WilliamQ, May 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seeking answers to a few question

Scenario: If I fly on Airline F(Flown) and credits it to Airline M(Mile),
    1. Is it better to book through Airline F or Airline M?
    2. Which airline will appreciate this arrangement more? Airline F or Airline M?
    3. If I have status / privileges in both, which FFP will apply or they combines? :)
    4. If lounge access is involved, which FFP rules will apply or they combines? :)
    5. Which airline will get the flight (segment) flown credit?
      • Airline M is definitely getting the redeemable miles
    6. Which airline will get the lifetime miles credit?
    Thanks!

MX and gregm like this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    @WilliamQ I love you to death, but if that's a 'few questions' I'd hate to see several! ;) The answer to 1 and 2 is prob F although the "appreciation" is probably in the eye of the "appreciated".

MX and WilliamQ like this.
  3. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A follow-up question that I have -
    If I want to earn miles with airline M1 but use earned status from airline M2 (both partners of F, though M1 is non-alliance (e.g. Alaska)), is there a better way than the ol' switcheroo of FF #s at the gate?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many of the answers depend on who F and M are. On *A carriers, for example, operating metal matters much more than marketing carrier. That is not the case on OW or ST.
    Also, generally speaking, the status/benefits/perks of the program listed on the BP are what apply to the day-of-travel experience. There are ways around this for some programs/benefits by showing the appropriate card but not all play along with that theory for all benefits.

As to 5, 5a & 6, that credit all goes to where you choose to credit the flight. That's M in your parlance, though I'd save M for marketing carrier and use a different letter for the program where you credit the points; perhaps this:
    [​IMG]

gregm, MX, LETTERBOY and 1 other person like this.
  5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's usually better to book air/hotel reservations through the airline/hotel you will actually be using. If you book a codeshare flight and you have a problem with your reservation, you'll have to go through the airline you booked the flight with. If you book an AA ticket on a US flight, and then US has a schedule change, for example, you'll have to deal with AA to fix it. It adds another layer of complexity to wade through.

MX and WilliamQ like this.
  6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok, I am looking at booking a flight from Singapore to Hong Kong.
    The ticket from United (United.com) shows a RT (direct) flight of 2 x 1,603 miles with the ticket Fare Class (L).
    I was wondering if I should credit these miles to United or Asiana
    • This trip (and future ones) will be self paid vacation trips (hopefully at least once a year) around the region
      • My main FFP is Delta SkyMiles but earnings and options around here is weak
    • I might be able to do 20,000 miles over 24 months for Asiana Club Gold (Star Alliance Silver) which is then valid for 24 months.
    • I will might have difficulty reaching 25,000 miles each year for Premier Silver (Star Alliance Silver) on United.
    • My flights will usually be international itineraries (based from SIN) so no upgrades on both programs
      • United FFP does cater for domestic upgrades if status is attained
    • I think ½ million miles would already be tough to hit based on these travel much less a million miles but
      • 500,000 miles on Asiana FFP gets me lifetime Diamond Plus (Star Alliance Gold)
      • 1,000,000 miles on Asiana FFP gets me lifetime Platinum (Star Alliance Gold)
      • 1,000,000 miles on United FFP gets me lifetime Premier Gold (Star Alliance Gold)
    • United's FFP allows for "non-expiry" of earned mileage with account activity each year
    • Asiana miles expire 10 years regardless of account activity (12 years for Diamond and above)
    • United's FFP have companion benefits but I do not see any for Asiana

Is there anything about Asiana which would tip me over to United Mileage Plus?

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you otherwise have nothing vested in the MileagePlus program I would NOT use this opportunity as an excuse to start. At a pace of once a year you're not going to make status anyways so ignore that and go by fare/schedule/product.

If you do choose the UA-operated option then buy from United or from your favorite OTA via a cash-back portal to save a few dollars.

WilliamQ likes this.