Crediting Austrian Miles

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by FlyingBear, Apr 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    So over a month ago I flew Austrian and yet again got no mileage credit. Last two times I filled out online form to get the miles credited and they finally appeared. This time no such luck. Anyone else has experiences with that? My tickets were actually United stock, had my mileage number and all, so... what the hell?

MX and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did the same with an OS flight last month, credited to my US account. Nothing happened until I called US with my ticket number and flight information, to get mileage credit. As long as you have the ticket stubs, you'll get credit. Give UA a call, and ask them what they suggest you do.

FlyingBear and MX like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What fare class? Are you sure it is eligible for earning?

UA is very bad at updating status on a missing miles request online. I've found that I have to follow up to see why a claim hasn't posted; they won't send another email saying "this is why you did(not) get the miles posted."

4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    H fare, eligible for miles. It's fairly typical for my miles to not post, but with Austrian it's a guarantee. Just called them up and they said that I should be credited the miles within 15 days. Was talking to a friend who's been having same issues with them every time, so he just stopped using them as one of the choices. Not getting an email back that something happened is indeed quite annoying. Makes me wonder if anything even happened.

Newscience likes this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I try not to rely on emails to communicate with airlines, unless there's no other choice available. Of course, the phone response systems for some of the major airlines is abysmal, and I've also experienced this with UA. Elite status with most of the airlines helps considerably, and that status is at times directly related to the level of their effort to respond to your concern.

Because OS offers some routes and fares that other airlines don't have out of IAD, their hiccups haven't kept me from flying with them. They're certainly no worse than any of the US-based carriers, and better in some ways. I was able to purchase OS exit-row seating on my last 2 long-haul flights for a nominal amount (significantly less than what UA charges). And OS at times offers business class seating at a very reasonable rate. It's been a pleasure to fly with them when I've enjoyed that seating, along with their great business class service!

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    For something where I anticipate a challenge later I want it in writing. A phone call isn't worth much there.

7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem with emails to any large corporation is that they're either not responded to, or simply answered. Call me old-fashioned, but most of the time, when I've made the effort to write a snail-mail letter, it has been answered favorably.

8. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, they have special forms here to fill out, it's not a simple email, so in my opinion it is reasonable for them to put an automatic reply function at the end of the 14 days saying "your miles posted!" or "your miles didn't post because!"

OS doesn't have any special routing for my needs, so not using them works just fine for me. I haven't noticed their product being in any noticeable way better than LH/UA, so that incentive isn't there either.

LETTERBOY and Wandering Aramean like this.
  9. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    K, Austrian didn't post miles for one of the legs again. I know I am not the only one with this repeating issue. Since I don't fly anything that only Austrian flies to and their service/planes are not any different than other choices, they are on my black list. It's just annoying.