Credit Reports and Moving

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by habsfan, Sep 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. habsfan

habsfan Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all - a random question about credit reports and applying for cards...I will be moving next weekend, and was wondering if I will have problems applying for cards if my credit report doesn't yet show my new address. In other words, is it best to wait for a bit after a move to apply for a new card, or does it not matter?

Thanks!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    your address has zero weighting on your credit score/worthiness.

If you can wait, it would be better as it would keep the descrepancies down between you & the issuer. But your issuer should be able to handle it if you can't wait, after all, you aren't the first person to move while applying for a CC.:)

MX likes this.
  3. habsfan

habsfan Active Member

Status Points:
    that's what I thought...my concern was more I apply for a card with my new address, the credit pull indicates my old address, and there's a problem or delay with the application because of that inconsistency

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Credit bureaus get their data from bank/creditor reports. So you'd probably have to apply for something before your file gets updated. Most credit applications ask if you had moved within the last 2 years. So that helps your identification. Finally if a creditor is in any doubt, they do call or write to your last known location. I've received such confirmation phone calls myself.