Credit for miles when irrops puts me on another carrier?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DenverBrian, May 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all - I had a recent AUS-DFW-PHX trip where the first leg had a creeping delay due to a mechanical, and it blew my DFW-PHX connection. To get to PHX at a reasonable hour, AA interlined me to US on a nonstop AUS-PHX. Now I'm looking to see if I can get my AA miles, but the website only has info about getting credit for miles on AA and partner flights, and US is not an AA partner. What say the mp experts?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about AA rules, but sometimes you can ask for "original routing credit" which would in this case give you credit on AA for the AA flights you booked and paid for, namely AUS-DFW and DFW-PHX. Asking for credit on AA for the US flight as flown will probably only confuse them and lead to an automatic denial with a canned response.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yep, that sounds fine...but who do I ask? Phone call, e-mail, web?

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Write to this address:
    American Airlines
    P.O. Box 619688
    DFW Int'l Airport, TX 75261-9688
    They will give you original routing credit if you send them a nice letter. I've never had a problem with this on AA or DL.

Plus, you can earn the points on the other carrier if you gave that other carrier a FF number that they recognize.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Any of those should work. I've always used the web form to request my ORC. It usually helps to have the agent who sent you to US note in your reservation that you are going to receive ORC. I had something similar happen in Jan and I got my miles no problem.

Good luck.

I've always used the web email form on AA.com and gotten the miles in a few days, writing seems tedious. :confused:

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OK, I've used the web form with the category "Request miles - AA" and carefully provided all dates, flights, old and new PNRs and ticket numbers (except that US doesn't print ticket numbers on their boarding passes - yet another reason to hate them). We shall see what happens.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A phone call or two usually works, ideally as soon after travel as possible.
    Just had a re-route last week, called AA, the original routing credit was on my account within a day.
    If you know ahead of time that you're going to be re-routed, it seems helpful to call and have them notate your record as such.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is easy with AA. Call or email (via web form) Customer Service, say that you were "involuntarily rerouted", and would like "original routing credit".

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now, apply for a FF# with US and then ask them to credit your flight to that account. If you get re-routed onto US a lot, pretty soon you will be able to curse your inability to book an award flight with them.

travelinmike33 and jbcarioca like this.
  10. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any *A FF account will work, mind you. (Useful to someone in DEN, a UA hub, I'd imagine.)

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had this happen to me on a ZRH-JFK flight, when they put me on a CO flight after the AA flight got cancelled. It was pretty simple, I called the AA ePlat desk and asked for Original Routing Credit and the miles posted within a day, and i also got to claim CO miles :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also had this happen. It was MSY-STL-CMH on AA (a few years ago when they still had STL-CMH). Then, I was put on US MSY-CLT-CMH. I called AA and got orginal routing credit from them. I also earned miles from US. Since the US ticket was booked in full-fare Y, I got bonus miles with that as well, which was a nice addition.

13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I am not adverse to technology, I find I get the best (most favorable) answers from written letters. It's tough to quantify that statement, as I've never been able to do a comparison in identical circumstances, but the more unusual the situation, the more likely I am to take out pen and paper (or, rather, open MS Word).

A recent five page letter to SPG (sent to both Frits the CEO and the subject property's GM) got me a 60,000 point rebate and a gift certificate for four free nights at a particular category 7 property. I don't think I would have done anywhere near as well from an email.

You are correct, in this situation, where the ask isn't crazy (Original Routing Credit), email should more than suffice.

14. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    ...and, quick as a wink (on a Sunday!), here's the response from AA:

It's things like this that can get me away from UA and to the dAArk side. :D :D :D

NYBanker likes this.
  15. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A happy ending: The miles posted today. Very nice job AA!