Credit for award travel?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Handleman20, Nov 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Handleman20

Handleman20 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know this is probably a ridiculous question, but do you get any sort of credit for an award ticket? In my situation specifically, I'm using some pesos to go on a small trip. Do I get any MQM/Million Miler Miles/Pesos for this? Or is it a "No no, you aren't paying for this so to heck with ya!"

I get the feeling it's the latter, but I'm hopeful!

2. lycidas1

lycidas1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As Dante wrote: "Abandon hope (of getting any mileage credit) all ye who enter (the plane on a ticket purchased using miles)."

Nothing for you, I'm afraid.

Handleman20 likes this.
  3. Handleman20

Handleman20 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No soup for me! ;)

4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are a couple instances where you might accidentally get credit, but it shouldn't be expected.

Once flew ATL-ORD-BDL R/T on an AA AAnytime award (50K in Y ... last-minute price was sky-high) and got mileage credit even though it was an award (bought with someone else's miles).

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well if you face irrops and get rebooked into a revenue booking class... I've also flown BA on an AA mileage award and gotten credit (both in an AA account and then a different flight in a BA account). But as a general matter, no credit for award flights.

6. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that Pay With Miles tickets also do NOT get mileage credit even though you have cash with them. Rumors were the NWA system which allowed you to get a portion of miles was going to be implemented, but I learned not to hold my breath waiting for DL to do customer friendly things a long time ago.

7. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah. i've learned that if I'm going to pay with miles I might as well use as many miles as possible to "pay with miles" because I'm not earning any miles on the money I spend on that trip.