Credit Cards for benefits other than points or status? (e.g. travel insurance)

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by yaychemistry, Nov 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone use certain credit cards specifically for reasons other than point earning/bonuses (this includes things like airline/hotel status benefits, free nights, or companion tickets)?

I'm specifically thinking of credit cards that offer price protection, extended warranties, travel delay/cancellation insurance, car rental insurance, emergency repatriation insurance, etc. They definitely seem like good benefits that rarely get mentioned.

The reason I ask this is because I've been eyeing the JP Morgan Select (JPM) card both for its travel insurance and the EMV chip. Most of its other benefits are the same as the Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP).
    The major differences are:
    -The JPM has a 25k annual point bonus when you spend $100k in a year vs the 7% point dividend in the CSP
    -JPM lacks the 50k bonus point sign-up
    -The JPM only earns double points on airline, hotel, and car rental purchases instead of the generously defined "travel" category and dining for CSP
    -The CSP offers free coverage for trip delay, trip cancellation, lost baggage, and auto rental CDW. The JPM covers that plus emergency repatriation/evacuation, sickness/accident coverage, baggage delay, and primary auto rental coverage
    Here's the link: https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/jp-morgan-select-card.aspx

Now, I also have the UA MP Select card, which offers double miles on dining, so I can just shift that spending over and I've already earned the Chase Sapphire bonus. I'm thinking of converting the CSP to the JPM after the 7% point dividend posts (there's no way I'll ever earn the 25k bonus for spending $100k in a year unless I make a significant career change - anyone want to hire me for a 7+ figure job?).

Basically I think I'm giving up a few double point opportunities in the travel category, and the 7% point dividend in subsequent years (if I keep the card until 2013). In return I'm getting generous (IMHO) travel insurance coverage plus the EMV chip. Based on a dummy booking at AAA, I estimate that the premium for similar travel coverage will probably cost me ~$100 for a 2 week trip.

Also, any clue if I convert a card if the purchases made on the CSP will count as purchases made on the JPM card (e.g. to qualify for the insurance coverage)? I doubt it, but if anyone has any experience with this, it would be good to know.

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting.. I'm assuming the standards for this card is higher than the other cards in regards to income, occupation, etc. ?

yaychemistry likes this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO OnePass Plus (maybe the UA Explorer, too?) has primary car rental insurance. Not a reason I got the card, and probably not enough to make me keep it given its other pathetic benefits, but it's a nice perk.

yaychemistry likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly... I just got the Saphire preferred card and was prepared to give up the OP MasterCard since I was rarely using it. But they just cut some $$$ of the credit limit. It will go anyway next year when the renewal fee comes due.

Haven't really paid much attention to extended warranty, price protection and travel insurance features. Probably should review my assorted cards.

yaychemistry likes this.
  5. jumbo_cards

jumbo_cards Silver Member

Status Points:
    Primary drivers' insurance is nice.

Too much trouble for consumer warranty, although worth it sometimes

companion tickets is too restricted... either no seats on the flights you want or insanely expensive in the first place.

No Foreign transaction fee is very welcome for me

Personal concierge? pretty useless...

And of course, if I was rich enough to afford exclusive cards that offers very nice benefits, I wouldn't really care too much at that point either, partly because I'd be too rich to really take advantage of those benefits anyway.

yaychemistry likes this.
  6. frank10b

frank10b Silver Member

Status Points:
    dosent starwood offer a good warranty?