Credit cards Europe

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by jgg630, Sep 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just wondering if anyone preferred using prepaid Visa or Mastercard while in Europe. I think you are able to obtain Pnis for some of them. Looking for thoughts on the idea. Don't want to risk my regular cards.

2. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Should say PIN numbers

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    ?risk your regular cards? what does this mean

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Risk having my regular credit cards fall victim to pickpockets or other issues while traveling overseas.

5. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    come on you're going to Europe...you have bigger chances to fraud or getting mugged/ pick-pocketed in the States:) you'll be just fine with your own cards just make sure you have one with chip&pin too and ENJOY.

NYCUA1K, guinnessxyz and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you're smart and careful, you shouldn't have any problems over there that you wouldn't have here.

7. +1. I am in Europe several times a year and have been for many years without any problems but have had my cards compromised several times in Canada and more so in the US.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. RnTTravel

RnTTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    My same thoughts. You have more risks here in the US then in Europe. Just make sure you use a card with no exchange fees.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can one get by in Europe with chip and signature, just as easily as chip and pin?

10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think so, unless you're planning to use it at unattended kiosks. If you are, you may have problems.

11. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Regular" credit cards can be replaced, charges disputed. Prepaid cards are roughly the equivalent of cash. Had that argument with someone at work who insisted debit/prepaids were safer for travel. I disagree, with credit cards the company is on the hook for charges you dispute, with debit/prepaids you are, until you can find proof they weren't your charges.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1. I thought it was a no-brainer to use credit cards with fraud protection vs prepaid.

Same reason the news always tells us to use credit over debit for all purchases, even here in the US.

If you lose a prepaid, I'd be hard pressed if you'd get your money back at all.

LETTERBOY likes this.