Credit Cards and Cruises

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Steven Schwartz, Jul 28, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

We have a long (for us) cruise next year from Buenos Aires to Santiago and as we are staying in a large suite, it will be costly. I have to pay 90 days out and want some guidance about what credit card to use for the trip.

I know some cards offer extra points for "travel" but it seems many limit it to airfare and hotel costs. The other issue is insurance coverage. It appears the Citi Prestige card offers some of those benefits - not sure how they compare to other companies. We already have the Air Rescue Card that will get us home in case of medical emergency. Any ideas which cards are superior in the coverage category?

Appreciate any guidance. As always, thanks!

Steve

2. The Muskox

The Muskox Active Member

Status Points:
    Good question, Steve. I'm also buying a long cruise. Last year I bought a world cruise and used Chase Sapphire for sign up miles plus 2X for travel...but I cancelled it. Should have kept it. Now looking for a different card that will give me 2X.

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just bought 2 Suites (4 people) for my mom and aunt to do an Alaska Cruise. Booked it via Costco Travel and used my CSP. It showed up as travel and I did get 2x on it.

Not sure about insurance and what not tho.

I'll send you a DM about something else.

Zomby Woof likes this.
  4. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Spoke to Citi regarding their Prestige card. Says it gives 3x miles for travel but fine print says airfare and hotels. Called to check on cruises and they said no-go. Seems ridiculous but thought I'd let y'all know. That said, the do offer insurance of up to $5,000 per passenger. It is not cancellation for any reason but rather for sickness or death of a passenger or immediate family member. It would leave us with an uninsured exposure of about $5000 and we would take the hit if we cancelled less than 2 months before sailing. Hard to get an exact estimate of purchasing insurance as there are so very many variations but seems to range from $900 to $1400. Still deciding.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be surprised if there are many insurance options that cover you for "I decided not to go" cancellation as opposed to medical issues. The couple times I've seen such it has been prohibitively expensive.

6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Depends on your definition of prohibitive, Seth. Most insurances, as I stated above, go from $900-1400. When you add Cancel for Any Reason, it goes up about $400-500. You end up between 9% and 12% of the cost of the trip. Since final payment is due 120 out and you by 90 days you forfeit 100% - well, that's the issue. Imagine that you had a wonderful cruise of a lifetime from Athens to Istanbul, visiting the Greek Islands - and then the $hit hit the fan in Turkey. That is one instance where cancel for any reason would certainly come into play and in the world as it is right now, seems more and more reasonable to insure against this.

7. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    CSP will offer up to $10K travel insurance and trip interruption. I've made a successful claim for trip interruption on a cruise due to a death in the family.