Credit card used for purchase needed at time of boarding on Cathay?

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by Ravi Rao, May 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ravi Rao

Ravi Rao Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi there, I'm new to the Cathay forum, and apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to be asking this question -

I am based out of the US and bought tickets for my parents to travel from India to USA using my US-issued credit card on www.cathaypacific.com. Obviously, my parents won't be having this card on their person at time of boarding in either India or in Hong Kong en route to USA. Will this be a problem in June 2013?

Random google searches indicate Cathay used to insist on seeing the form of payment in the past, so I'm kinda concerned. Thanks!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call the airline to get an authoritative answer. Best we can do here is guess.

3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wandering Aramean has the best answer, as usual. Even then, you probably should call twice to compare the answers you get.

Single data point: I've never been asked for it when I fly on Cathay, and one time I paid for a colleague's ticket with my credit card and she was never asked for it.

This may or may not be accurate (and even if accuate with his airline, may or may not apply to Cathay), but I was told by one airline employee that they only ask when there's a reason to question. For instance, (in that case) tickets purchased in Africa with a European destination. Apparently there's a significant amount of card-skimming fraud in some countries.

Aktchi likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aktchi likes this.
  5. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, call Cathay. Because this was an online purchase, you might offer to visit a Cathay office/airport desk and present the cards physically and have that notated in your parents PNR. You may have to fax some kind of documentation to your parents which they can carry. Only Cathay can tell what would work best. Good luck.

Wandering Aramean likes this.