Credit Card Tracker Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Mikus33, Apr 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm realizing that I need to do a much better job of keeping track of my credit cards, specifically to keep track of when I applied, when annual fees are due, and what credit bureau my credit pulls are taken from. I'm curious what all information everyone keeps track of as I work to build my own spreadsheet (that I probably should have done when I first got into this game about a year ago). Here are some items I plan to list in my spreadsheet.

- Credit Card Issuer (Chase, AmEx, Citi, Barclays, etc.)
    - Program - aka Airline/Hotel, etc. (Ultimate Rewards, AA, SPG, etc.)
    - Rough Point Value (a rough estimate of what I value that program's points to be worth)

- Personal or Business
    - Credit Bureau (Transunion, Experian, Equifax)
    - Date Applied / Opened
    - Annual Fee ($)
    - Annual Fee waived first year (Y or N)

- First Purchase Points/Miles Bonus (if any)
    - First Purchase Bonus Date that Miles/Points Posted
    - Spend Requirement
    - Spend Date Requirement
    - Spend Points/Miles Bonus (if any)
    - Spend Requirement Date Met
    - Spend Bonus Date that Miles/Points Posted
    - Year End Bonus (if any)
    - Year End Bonus Date that Miles/Points Posted

- Miles/Points per Dollar
    - Full Time Bonus Categories

- Retention Bonus (if any)
    - Retention Bonus Call Date
    - Retention Bonus CSR name, ID#, etc

Please add suggestions of information that you've found helpful to keep track of. Thanks.

skyhook and TravelByPoints like this.
  2. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You already have more listed than I keep track of. I would suggest really taking a look at each of those items to see what you will use that information for in the future. If you can't come up with a good answer, don't bother recording it. Keeping track of that much for every card may become more of a hassle than it is worth.

That being said, it is important to keep track of al least renewal dates for cards with annual fees and the terms for your sign-up bonuses so you can make sure you hit the required spends. I could never remember those items for all of my cards.

TravelByPoints likes this.
  3. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it definitely is quite a bit of information to keep track of, and people vary on how much information they want to collect. Some of it is just to keep track of for fun to see how many miles/points I end up with over the year, and some of it is to help keep track of 'churn' dates (I put churn in quotes because very few of my cards I'll actually be churning vs. applying for different cards).

I could get rid of the year end bonus information because as far as I know, it really only applies to the Chase Sapphire Preferred. The Miles per Dollar and bonus categories could be cut too, but I should keep those in mind when deciding which credit card to use where. The Retention Bonus information could be interesting to know for that call into cancel the card the following year (if I actually get a retention bonus just before year 1), or if the bonus doesn't post for some reason. Rough Point Value would be a great piece of information to have for the retention bonus call (and redemptions of course), but mile/point values seem a difficult thing to nail down since they vary on how different people use their miles/points.

4. tebfunk

tebfunk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, a lot of this comes down to personal preferences. I formatted my spreadsheet so that each card has a column, and tried to streamline everything so that I could see all the details for each card without scrolling down. I have some conditional formatting set so that if I haven't met the spend the text is red, and once the bonus is posted the whole column changes to gray text.

For what it's worth, my "rows" are labeled:
    Card Owner
    Approval Date
    Bonus Currency
    $ Spent
    Bonus #1
    $ to Bonus #1
    Final Day for Bonus #1
    Date Spend Attained Bonus #1
    Date Bonus #1 Posted
    Bonus #2
    $ to Bonus #2
    Final Day for Bonus #2
    Date Spend Attained Bonus #2
    Date Bonus #2 Posted
    Annual Fee
    Keep?
    Cancel Date
    Perks
    Under "perks" I just list the random benefits that come with each card - anniversary bonuses or lounge passes or no ForEx fees or whatever, with each benefit in a separate cell. That way if I'm waiting on something I can highlight it, or add notes to that particular cell without cluttering up the whole thing.

TravelByPoints and Mikus33 like this.
  5. adalnay

adalnay Active Member

Status Points:
  6. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    How much you want to keep track of is up to you, but it does seem like a pretty exhaustive list.

The headings for my own spreadsheet are:

Card Name
    Bank
    Date Applied
    Approval Date
    Bureau
    Credit Limit
    1st Year Annual Fee
    Fee after 1st
    Need to Spend
    Remaining
    Cancel before
    Notes

For me, I think all are important outside of maybe the date the points posted. Also, I realized that I rarely look at the "need to spend" and "remaining" columns since I usually just hop on my account online and check that. Still worth having, but I don't really use it to track closely.

Also, I think writing down the date you were approved and applied is important simply because there are many times I'd like to reference back to it (for later App-o-Ramas or just when dealing with CSR's). It certainly has been helpful for me.

My notes section is a mess but also really important when I'm trying to figure out if I've called reconsideration before, what they offered, etc. It could probably be cleaned up some more, but it works for me.

TravelByPoints and Mikus33 like this.
  7. rdaven

rdaven Active Member

Status Points:
  8. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all of the resources. I knew there were people out there with some great spreadsheets, I just didn't know where they were.

9. TravelByPoints

TravelByPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
  10. rxgeek

rxgeek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also record:
    statement closing date (good for timing big purchases)
    additional user(s) and any bonus for adding

Mikus33 likes this.
  11. rxgeek

rxgeek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since my last post above, I have been working to solve this problem. I have created www.cardbeagle.com to keep track of the specific data mentioned above. I invite all Milepoint users to try the site, which is free. Your comments to my email address, which is on the site, would be very much appreciated.

vickers likes this.
  12. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have tabs for myself and my wife. As well as tabs for tracking Pending Miles or Points (shopping promos, dining promos, etc), Notes on Programs, Experian Scores and other things.

For the two credit card tabs I have columns "Card", "Paid", "Member Since", "Bonus", "So Far", "Limit", "Annual Fee", "Notes", "Cancel" and "Link".

At the top of the spreadsheet I list my current cards. As I cancel them they are moved to the bottom. Rows start out white background, got to yellow or orange if I'm actively spending on them. Go to Light green once I've hit the required spend. Go to dark green once the miles/points have posted. When tracking interim bonuses I just highlight the words in the "Bonus" column that I've hit or that had points posted in light green/dark green.

The Card column has the bank, card name etc. E.g. Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select VISA #2-1234.

The Paid Column is when I last paid the card and what amount.

Member since is when I applied but really a text field with things like "8/9/13. Called me 8/14 and moved $13K from blah. Approved".

Bonus is stuff like "50,000mi after $3,000 in 3 months (11/14). 10,000 every calendar year you spend XYZ".

So Far is how much I've spent so far, e.g. dollars and a date I checked it.

Limit is my credit limit for the card if any.

Annual fee is "$95, waived first year".

Notes is where I keep track of a lot of random stuff including bonus categories, the fact that the United cards have primary collision insurance, whether its got FTF's or not, etc. Lots of random stuff.

Cancel is when to cancel and why. I color the background here as I approach the date within a few months.

Link is usually a link to the article on BoardingArea, or the link to the application page, or a link to a forum post on FlyerTalk or whatever relating to finding the application in the first place.

I also keep track of future opportunities in the same spreadsheet, so like I can reapply for an SPG Amex Business on X date since it will be 12 months etc. Or any links to interesting posts for cards that may be available or just ideas for possible future rounds. I put these lower down in the same sheet and just rename the columns.

To each his own.

13. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I put a label on each card, amount of spend, date required, 2x points for spend. date to cancel.
    When canceled it goes in the safe box, and RIP.
    Keep It Simple Stupid.... KISS System ..and off to the next bonus offer, every 3 months.
    Spreadsheets are pretty much an overkill. for 24 new cards a year for me and my wife..
    Do Not forget to take a screen shot of the points offered when you apply for the card.

14. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great tips and resources. Thank you.

15. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ill check it out. Thanks.