Credit card renewal fee waived plus bonus miles

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by boxergal, Sep 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. boxergal

boxergal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just contacted Citicard to cancel my AAdvantage credit card (Amex & Visa combined), and they offered to waive the $85 annual fee and gave me 1,000 bonus miles every month for the next 16 months when I spend $1,000 or more, in addition to the regular miles that would earn me. A potential for 16,000 miles. Not likely that I'll earn it every month, but I'll grab some double miles along the way and no annual fee.

2. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I contacted citi to cancel my AA mc but they only offer to waive my fee if I made 5 purchases (I have that card for yrs and they seem to that each yr before they didn't have strings with the waive yr just automatically waive it now they make me do 5 purchases within a month)
    But with AA visa which I only had for about a yr and called recently to sign up they only offer me 3000 to leave it open if I spend $500 in 3 mos nothing about waive annual fee

miles and smiles likes this.
  3. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a data point:

I received a different offer from Citi for my Citi AA Visa. Either annual fee of $85 returned in form of statement credit, or an additional 4 miles per dollar, [5 miles for each dollar spent instead of one]. I asked about a flat bonus, and retention rep said that these were the only 2 offers he had for me. [depsite me asking for a flat-out bonus]

rharrigill and miles and smiles like this.
  4. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called to cancel my Citi AA Visa and was offered and $85 statement credit after making 5 purchases. I have zip use for the card, but am trying to keep no-fee cards open at the moment while house shopping.

rharrigill and miles and smiles like this.
  5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last year when my annual fee was coming up on my Citi MC, I was given the $85 credit after five purchases. This year I was given the $85 credit with no requirement whatsoever.
    Thanks Citi!
    I like that this is basically a no-fee card, as I am now only looking for credit cards that I will keep for the long term. I don't use this card much, but as long as it's free, I'll keep it.

rharrigill likes this.
  6. snfitch

snfitch Active Member

Status Points:
    As someone that spends 100K on this card every year, i am super interested in the offer for 4 additional points per dollar spent. Any suggestions how I can receive that offer?

perryplatypus and rharrigill like this.
  7. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im sorta in the same boat. Let me know what they offer u.

perryplatypus and rharrigill like this.
  8. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only way to find out would be to call and tell them you want to cancel the card and see what retention offers they have for you. Offers can vary by each account, so you never know until you call. Of course, there's the risk that they give you no retention offers and straight up cancel your card. As always, YMMV.

I called today to cancel my Citi AA card I got last February and was given three offers:
    1. $85 in statement credit and 750 bonus miles when I spend $750 in a month, for 16 months
    2. Spend $500 in 3 months and receive 3000 bonus miles
    3. 3 miles/$ for the next 6 months, up to 10000 miles
    I took #1.

miles and smiles likes this.
  9. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I called today to cancel my Citi AA card I got last December and was given three offers:
    1. $85 in statement credit with 5 purchases
    2. 3 miles/$ for the next 6 months, up to 10000 miles
    3. Transition to a Thank You MasterCard for 6k thank you points for $300 spend with no additional credit pull etc
    I went for #3 because I am trying to not open new cards right now to prepare to buy a house and I figured I would take the opportunity for a new sign up bonus, even if it is not the greatest.

rharrigill likes this.
  10. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Called Citi and got transferred to the retention department and these were the offers I got for the AMEX and Visa:

Visa:
    1. $85 statement credit in the next two billing cycles (no spend required)
    2. 750 bonus miles for $750 spend each month for 16 months.

Accepted the $85 statement credit.

AMEX:
    1. $25 statement credit after $500 spend in 3 months
    2. Convert to AAdvantage Gold MC which is $0 annual fee
    3. Convert to Thank You MC and receive 6K TYP after $300 spend in 3 months.

Accepted the $25 statement credit after $500 spend and told the CSR I would consider the conversion to the TYP but don't want to accept it right now.

The direct line for the retention department is: 1-800-444-2568 for those who want to go straight to them and not talk to a CSR on the CS line.

hashj01, malikguy and rharrigill like this.
  11. hashj01

hashj01 Active Member

Status Points:
    Are there any tips on what to say to a rep when you call to cancel in order to hopefully get them to offer to waive the annual fee? My annual fee on my Citi AAdvantage will come due in January and I'd rather keep it open, but I don't want to pay the fee, either.

12. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's my recommendation:

Citi Thank You Premier: Getting annual fee waived second year

13. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tell them your company requires you to use a Corporate AMEX card and you already pay the Membership Awards annual fee on that card...so you cannot justify another annual fee for a personal card.