Credit Card Questions

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by hopscotch1, Jul 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just received by new United credit card today (it was expiring), but it got me thinking.

I currently have the Platinum Visa Signature. I feel that the main perk on this card is the 5,000 EQM for united.com purchases. That has pushed me over a threshold in several years. I don't know how many years I have had it, but its been a while.

However, I know that United has revamped all of its credit cards. Do you think that I should look at a different card, or stick with what I have.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. winecountryua

winecountryua Silver Member

Status Points:
    None of the new cards offer EQMs.
    The Explorer card is not very useful for an elite.
    The Club card offeres UC membership, 1.5 miles for all purchaces (2 miles for UA purchases) and no forex but is $395 annually with first year credit of $95.

If the EQMs are still needed, then the older card has a key advantage.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly what winecountryua said: if you care at all about the EQM, hold on to that card as you can't get another one that gives you EQM. I have the successor card to the Platinum that has a lower fee and only gives the 5000 EQM for UA purchases (+5000 RDM every year), and I won't give it up if I can help it. I pretty much only use it for united.com purchases and *A purchases these days (so I don't reach the $30k spend a year and that's why I gave up the Platinum card I original had).

marcwint55 and hopscotch1 like this.
  4. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice. The EQM are probably the most valuable to me.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. jazzalbart

jazzalbart Member

Status Points:
    Yup, I'm completely agree with you. I accept that there would be some alternates of EQM but EQM is far better than others. I've also used it thats why i know how smoothly it works.

hopscotch1 likes this.
  6. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you thought about a non-United-branded card, as an additional (not replacement)? Lots of us like the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Starwood Amex, and the new Citi Hilton Visa ... they offer great approval offers, flexibility to transfer to numerous airlines (including UA), or diversity in our miles/points holdings (eg. everyone needs a hotel room now and again ...). Lots of good info available on this site via search, or look at some of the frequent flier blogs out there.

hopscotch1 likes this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In addition to the EQM's you also have the benefit of a credit card with a long history which is good to have on your credit report.

hopscotch1 likes this.
  8. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have plenty of credit cards. AMEX *wood - main spend, AMEX plat - benefits (also wife's work is all on Amex), several for benefits including Alaska & priority club. I mainly use the United card for work travel.

I have been thinking hard about the ultimate rewards, but just not sure where it would fit in my wallet.

I know that this isn't a problem that many have, but even though I love points and travel, I don't have the time to use my miles with 2 kids under 5 and 1 on the way.

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My three kids are all grown now (24 year old attorney, 22 year old recent university graduate and 19 year old university student), but we traveled with them from the time they were born. They not only developed a love of travel, but they learned at a very young age what type of behavior is expected and appropriate when traveling in addition to learning to respect and admire the diversity in different cultures.
    They still travel with us whenever they have the chance (on my dime of course) and the memories we have from travels will last a lifetime. The educational value from their travels could never have been equaled by any formal education. If you can find the time to travel with the kids, I think you will find nothing more rewarding.

10. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We travel w/ our kids which we enjoy but it is tough. This past year we have taken our kids to Hawaii for Christmas Vacation combo miles & paid tickets, Washington DC (Spring Break) my wife had a conference so we used Alaska companion ticket. We were staying at the Park Hyatt, and our youngest cried through the night for 3 straight nights. So loud that the hotel called to see if we needed help. It's tough with sub 2 year olds, because they change so much from trip to trip you just don't know the best way to arrange your plans. We flew a redeye back from Hawaii and the kids were angels, however six weeks after that trip my wife flew to Seattle with our youngest to see family and he cried to the whole trip back and forth on the plane.

My wife and I did a blowout trip to Hong Kong with miles for 5 days over Memorial day weekend which was our first true vacation since our oldest came along. We probably earn a total of 400K to 500K miles in a year, and it's just hard to burn those miles. It's tough to get the time away from work outside of regular vacation periods. This year we burned equal to our earn, but usually we accumulate a couple hundred thousand miles a year.

marcwint55 likes this.
  11. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, you like the upgrades rather than the free flights, eh? Then the new Citi Hilton Visa is worth a look, given the immediate Gold status and the two free weekend nights after minimum spend (good to tacking onto the end of a work trip, perhaps?) In this case, I reckon the hype is worth it.

You probably don't need another everyday spend, nor another Chase card, so maybe stick with the old United card.

hopscotch1 likes this.
  12. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I made the decision to jump from the old Presidential Plus EQM earning card a month ago, and I should have done it a lot sooner. EQM is useless given you fly a fair amount, and its expiring nature in combo with MM status made it completely useless. I do like the extra half point per dollar spent. The new card is pretty much the heaviest card I've ever seen.

hopscotch1 likes this.
  13. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I definitely prefer the upgrades to the free flights. I really enjoy the free flights, but the upgrades make my 20 +/- trips a year go much easier, however, I feel that the upgrades are tougher to come by (that might just be my luck).

I am going to take a look at the Hilton cards. I won't get the Reserve until I have a redemption in mind.

Definitely thinking that I will stick with this United Card.

14. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly enough that it makes a difference. For what its worth every year for the 3 or 4 years the 5,000 EQM I earn on this card push me to the next tier one year 125,000, a couple 100,000, this year it will probably be 75,000.

15. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    To my knowledge... FEQM no longer applies post 75k, so, if you fly a lot FEQM no longer matters. If you are using it to get to 75k, then that is good. You are only giving up less than 35k points to do that.

hopscotch1 likes this.