Credit Card Not Allowed at Vons or CVS

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by rlee508, Mar 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. rlee508

rlee508 Member

Status Points:
    I just went to my neighborhood Vons (owned by Safeway) to buy a couple of $500 Visa gift cards. The cashier and the manager both said they no longer allow credit card purchases of cash gift cards (only cash or debit cards, due to recent fraud). Hopefully this was a one-store policy and not chainwide. Anyone else experience this?

Also had this happen at a nearby CVS- same reasoning.

I'm in Southern Cali BTW.

2. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Some stores will not allow credit cards.

Sometimes, it's only a certain rep that will not allow credit cards.
    Each situation can have a different outcome.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have found that many companies that sell the Gift Cards no longer allow Credit Card Purchases. Here in Arizona it seems that the Gift Card "kiting" has become a way for the Drug Dealers to generate more cash. (I have even been told by Banks, that there is a crackdown on large dollar amounts even in cash?!?!?)
    Walgreens, Albertson's, WalMart, CVS, Safeway, Fry's and even Sam's Club, are not allowing it. However, some do allow GC purchases with a Debit Card, since the cash is taken out of the Account immediately. Unfortunately, most Debit Cards won't give you miles for the purchase.

Has anyone tried purchasing the GC at Home Depot with a CC yet? Noticed yesterday that they now have one of the "Gift Card Mall" displays.

4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It still amazes me that they often don't blink an eye when people buy a large value gift card with untraceable cash but then they complain when people try to use a traceable credit card. If I were money laundering wouldn't untraceable be preferred?

John Deere likes this.
  5. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was hoping to be able to buy cash gift cards with the upcoming AMEX Every day to get my $6K spend at grocery stores.

6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    But with the cash purchase, the vendor has the cash. With the credit card purchase, the gift cards could be purchased with stolen CC info, and subject to chargebacks, after the gift card value has been spent.

eponymous_coward and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have spent $3,000 this week at my local CVS, opening new SERVE CARDS for friends,

Also loading a few thousand in VISA GIFT CARDS from Office Max, at CVS

No Cash has exchanged hands,

It could just be your local CVS, go to another CVS, deal is still working...

8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but that's true of any CC purchase - I'm not sure why it's any riskier than, say, buying a $300 watch with a CC at CVS. In fact I'd say it's LESS risky since if you buy a VR they can trace where the money went -- e.g. onto a Bluebird account.

John Deere likes this.
  9. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had completely random results at Safeway buying the $0 PayPower VISA cards with a credit card. At the same store different cashiers will accept credit cards or not. I assume if they've been trained and are paying attention they don't, but often they do. At Lucky's and CVS and 7-ELEVEN I've had similar results. Employees who say no will often invoke company-wide policies and such even when I know they aren't true (or aren't enforced). Just rinse and repeat. For me it influences where I like to try. With 7-ELEVEN and CVS I have certain stores that know me and will let me use a credit card. Others I simply don't bother trying most of the time. With Safeway I'm in there often enough that I simply pick up a PayPower VGC every time I'm in there and sometimes they let me buy it and sometimes they don't. I don't argue, I just say never mind then and buy the other stuff I went in for. No biggie.

10. Célia Pinto

Célia Pinto New Member

Status Points:
    Situation like this use to happen in many stores.

11. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Data point: PayPower pre-paid $0 fee card (loaded with $500) picked up at Safeway today with no issue while having a nice chat with the cashier. Still not coded at the register so as always YMMV. Package clearly says "cash only" on the front btw.

12. rlee508

rlee508 Member

Status Points:
    I've been thinking about hitting up Home Depot. I also noticed Michael's (the craft store) sells a number of GCs including MC up to $500 - might have to try them.

I tried two more CVS stores near me (starting to have to drive further and further) and was rejected!

At one location, there were printed signs at all of the registers stating that all gift card purchases (including restaurant and other retail GCs) were to be cash or debit only, which surprised me. I should have been suspicious when I saw about 50+ unclaimed VRs. When I asked about purchasing these with a CC, a managerial type person scowled at me without even making eye contact that they are "cash cards" so no! Fortunately, I found a 4th CVS that let me purchase $1k no problem but there were only a few VRs.

This is getting harder and harder, folks! Not sure if it's due to the increase in points enthusiasts or reduced production of VRs, it's rare to find a location that accepts CC purchases with more than a handful of VRs available either in the kiosk or next to the registers. Of course there are reports that people are hiding these in the store or purchasing $5k at a time.

Something has to give eventually, and I don't want to be a doomsday prophet since I enjoy collecting points as much as the next guy, but this "hobby" is getting way too much publicity on the blogs and there are too many players. Oh well, better enjoy it while we can!

gconnery likes this.
  13. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are the fees for the Visa cards you buy from Office Max, and in what denomination? Are they BB friendly cards?

14. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    $6.95
    $200 denominations
    BB friendly

15. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I'm running into more trouble unloading VGCs at WM as well, what with the Kates always being out of service or the cashiers unaware of what to do or unwilling. 2nd to last visit she loaded one card and then told me to go to the money center for the 2nd one. I left as the line was too long. Last visit she didn't know how to do a reload and sent me to the money center. Its always interesting trying to figure out which cashier to try. A combo of the shortest line, and somebody who looks like they might not know what they're doing but not too down that road... Oh well, the good news is that other paths to getting rid of GCs have appeared recently, and I've found SOME beans at the local CVS recently. Still, its taking more work. And the latest trip to Lucky's I got turned down (only cash or debit for those sir!). I guess I could buy VRs with a debit GC at Lucky. That would be interesting since I'm pretty sure the register will allow it. I'll have to take a shot.

16. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should say, I've been able to buy some PayPower $0 fee VGC's that I might be willing to unload for the $3.95 fee of a bean. Its probably still a stupid idea.

17. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bought 9k in MO from WM, and will deposit the MO in the bank.

My AA is having no problem with Serve loading at CVS, and they are not asking a fee to load the card,

It is nice not to look for re load cards....

Tomorrow us another MO and Checking Account deposit day, almost feel like working,

Wife got her CP. From SW today,

No problems in the MidWest, pass on the beans..too much GAS...

18. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you expand on the MO pur from WM?

satman40 likes this.
  19. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Money orders, purchased for 70 cents @ Wall Mart.,

20. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points: