Credit Card Churn Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by kyledover, Apr 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kyledover

kyledover Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

Here's my dilemma: My last round of credit card applications I got the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the American Express Hilton card. This was on January 22nd.

I have been putting off my next churn, and larger churn until April 23rd to be within the 90 day window. I plan on applying for 4-6 credit cards. My sole goal here is to maximize hotel points in order to fund my honeymoon that begins in October. I'm looking to maximize points with Hyatt, SPG, Hilton and possibly Priority Club.

Chase is killing me with the increased spend on the Ink Bold card. I can still make the $10K spend, as I'll be charging our wedding dinner to the card.

My questions:
    1. Would charging $10K be looked down upon by Chase? It's truly not a business expense.
    2. Is anyone predicting the Chase Freedom card sign up bonus to go back to 20k?
    3. HELP me with a strategy!!!

Thanks!

2. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why wait until 90 days to apply for another Chase card?

3. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. It depends how comfortable you feel walking that gray line. All the fine print on the Ink Bold paperwork states that all charges are to be business related. I'd imagine it would only be a matter of time before Chase starts scrutinizing people's charges.

If you're new to Chase, technically they want 6 months between apps.

Kalboz and perryplatypus like this.
  4. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends on the person's credit score. I am new with Chase and got approved for 2 cards 31 days apart.

PointsCashMiles likes this.
  5. Len Williams
    Original Member

Len Williams Silver Member

Status Points:
    My questions:
    1. Would charging $10K be looked down upon by Chase? It's truly not a business expense.
    2. Is anyone predicting the Chase Freedom card sign up bonus to go back to 20k?
    3. HELP me with a strategy!!!

I don't think Chase really cares what type of expense it is as long as you are using their card for the spend.

6. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, Chase has generally been very reasonable about opening additional accounts when I call the reconsideration line. I can't prove it but I think the whole "must wait 6 months between apps" is misinformation spread by poorly trained agents.

As for the wedding spending on the business card, In your position I'd probably just go for it. It's purely a guess but I doubt Chase really cares that much what the spending is for as long as it goes on one of their cards. Additionally, if wedding dinner venue hosts other functions besides weddings, I'm not sure that anything on the credit card statement would indicate that it wasn't a business function.

As wrxmom mentions, At some point Chase may start trying to make sure that spending on business cards is business related, but personally, I think this would be difficult and I've yet to hear any reports that this is going on.

rharrigill likes this.
  7. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have previously been approved for two Chase cards within 90 days (mine were within 50-60 days of each other). Of course, I had to call the reconsideration line, but they gave me no problems.

8. smitty06

smitty06 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you look at the boarding area blogs you will see several posts about the current free Hyatt platinum status. Add the credit card to that and you can get free suite upgrades on paid stays. Seems like that would be nice for a honeymoon.

9. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. Don't worry about Chase busting you for non-biz spending. They see the venue address and the "category". It could be a conference.

2. I wold not bank on it. Chase has really toned down all their Proprietary card bonus offers this entire month. But that doesn't mean they won't but I would not expect them to.

3.Do you know where your honeymoon is? Because then we can all help you with which chains have best product there and we can start building from there.

There are TWO different two-browser tricks for Hilton, Citi or HawaiianMiles cards.

SPG is sitting at the regular bonus offer now but they have a stellar product

Hyatt CC will pair well with your Sapphire P. (transfer option)

Priority Club is also a good card but since you already have Hyatt and Hilton why not concentrate on one of those programs and build enough points that you can actually do something with them. Because you are on a bit of short notice if you want the miles in your account and then to book the hotel.

Good Luck and mazal tov on the wedding.

10. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The business/personal thing is interesting and ironic. I've often used a card in one category for the other, and never had a hint of a problem.

Mostly, these days, I use my Sapphire for business. The double points for travel and dining are pretty fantastic. I pay it from a business account, and the bill goes to my business address. I've never had an questions about it.

11. glennaa11

glennaa11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As long as you pay your bill on time I can't imagine they would care one way or the other if it is a "business" expense. They get their percentage cut from the merchant no matter whether it is for business or pleasure.

12. kyledover

kyledover Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for the thoughts. The honeymoon will be in October/November and will be a three week road trip from hartford to fort lauderdale. So unfortunately the Hyatt deal won't work so swell for us. I want to get at least 25k PC points as one weekend we are staying in an area in which the holiday inn is the best location and extremely expensive.

With what everyone is saying I think I'll end up going with the following cards:
    SPG amex
    Chase ink bold
    Citi Hilton
    B of A Hawaiian air
    B of H hawaiian air
    One more chase personal card. I'm having a hard time stomaching the freedom card at only 10k though...

13. kyledover

kyledover Active Member

Status Points:
    Well my applications have been submitted as of yesterday afternoon. Below are the results:
    Chase Ink Bold - approved after calling reconsideration line 50k points
    Chase Priority Club Visa - approved after calling reconsideration line 80k points
    SPG Amex - approved 25k points
    Citi Hilton - approved instantly 50k points
    Bank of America Hawaiian Air - approved using reconsideration line 35k points or 70k Hilton points
    Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Air - approved 35k points or 70k Hilton points

At the end of this I'll end up with the following:
    Priority Club points - 80,000
    Hilton points - 190,000
    Chase UR points - 50,000
    SPG points - 25,000
    TOTAL - 345,000 points

For my honeymoon I'll have the following to work with:
    Hilton points - 255,000
    Hyatt points - 115,000
    SPG points - 25,000
    PC points - 80,000

Pretty thrilled about it!

14. anomadtoo

anomadtoo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats!! That is an awesome result.
    Question: so if you apply for all these cards in the same day, next day call the reconsideration lines, all the credit hits won't have shown up yet in the individual creditors eval??

15. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you figure out what total spend you'll need to pull off to get the bonuses?

Also - you'll get a few more points than than, due to the spend.

16. kyledover

kyledover Active Member

Status Points:
    I basically had six webpages open on my computer and entered all of the information for each one. Then hit submit for one, waited to get the result and submitted the next one. Chase obviously knew I applied for two as did Bank of America (Bank of Hawaii). It ended up working very well.

As for the Ink Bold, I had it in my mind that I was going to have to spend $10K to get the full bonus (which I could do). However, when poking around on Million Miles Secret, I came across a $5K spend link and applied through that link. I haven't been able to confirm whether or not it worked, but Darius did have an active link for $5k spend on his website as of yesterday afternoon. His blog post came out this morning that there may be an active link available, however, I just logged onto his blog and all the $5k spend Ink Bold offers aren't active. I may have got extremely lucky!

17. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on the haul! Great little App-o-Rama you had there! Certainly earned a ton of Hilton points, so you should look towards booking AXON rewards with Hilton. If you're unfamiliar with it, it is basically a point-saver or reduced rate if you book 4 or more nights straight at any category 5-7.

Good luck getting the $5k spend. Seemed like it went the way of all the other Chase deals and they pulled it after it was made known. I went ahead and applied for the $5k right before it was pulled off the table last week...way easier to manage than the $10k spend!

Also, just to answer earlier questions regarding Chase applications:

1. I have never had them question my expenses on the Bold and whether they were "business" related or not. I can't see how'd they go about proving things one way or the other anyway.

2. I was able to get approved for 3 Chase cards last week (1 personal, 2 business) so the idea that you can only get 1 personal and 1 biz is not exactly true. It's probably a good idea to space them out like that, but in a pinch, you CAN get more than 1 and 1 in a short time period. Of course, YMMV but at least you know it's possible.

18. kyledover

kyledover Active Member

Status Points:
    I would be all about the AXON reward nights...except...our honeymoon is going to go like so:

Fly from Bend, OR to Hartford, CT in mid-October. Rent a car and drive the entire eastern seaboard. We'll fly back to Bend out of Fort Lauderdale, FL three weeks later. So unfortunately, we won't be in any one location for more than two nights. I think we'll stay a couple nights in NYC, DC and Florida more than likely.

19. jazzalbart

jazzalbart Member

Status Points:
    If you do decide to “churn” credit cards, one of the requirements is usually that you must spend a certain amount of money using those credit cards to qualify for the offers.

20. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the Ink Bold with 50,000 points after first spend. It was a targeted offer, but a really good one in my book. I have never seen no minimum spend on the Ink Bold before.