Credit Card Bonuses: Finding out which agency pulled my credit score?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by syphlix, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
    was reading this thread from frugal travel guy...

he mentions spreading out the cc's between the 3 different credit agencies to minimize the impact on credit score...

how do i find out what agency my credit was pulled from? I checked the credit pulls database from creditforum.com like he suggests, but the recent data samples are not very current.

i've applied and been approved for the citi visa 75k and the chase hyatt in the last cpl months, and had the amex SPG card on my radar (i live in NY)...

how do i check where citi and chase pulled my credit from?

2. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    It can vary a lot by location. For recent pulls, you may be able to contact the creditor and ask. For future applications, you may just ask when you are applying. Otherwise, you'll need to look up your credit reports. Keep in mind you can pull one free report from each bureau annually at www.annualcreditreport.com (NOT the ones you see ads for...those are selling a monthly service).

3. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    arkleseizure sums it up. The other way people on creditboards handle it is to freeze credit reports they don't want pulled. If the report can't be pulled some creditors can be told to pull another, others will request a thaw on that file. I've never tried that approach.

4. techboyds
    Original Member

techboyds Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, if you take a look at your credit reports once, it usually becomes pretty obvious what each major bank uses in your state (and it does vary, state by state). In my state, for instance, Citi uses Equifax, while Chase and AMEX use Experian.

It does change occasionally, though... Chase used to pull Equifax for me.

The only way to know for sure is to pull the reports and check.

5. Syphlix, I'm pretty sure Rick (Frugal Travel Guy) recommends using Truecredit.com for not only monitoring your credit but to actually keep track of how many inquires you have at each bureau. Rick recently posted this special promo pricing link ($9.95 for three months).

I've used services like Myfico.com or the government mandated annualcreditreport.com but neither of these services (to my knowledge break things down like Rick recommends.

6. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
    ah thanks for all the help... i'm gonna pull the free annual one first, then take it from there and see whats up!

7. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    And to highlight one bit about creditboards, it is a comprehensive forum that will indicate which bureau depending on credit provider and state.

8. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
    oh true... yea i checked that one... but it seemed there were very few data points...

aitchly likes this.
  9. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    It takes a while to dig in and figure out their fora. Not as welcoming as m.ers. You can always post a question there and get some additional feedback.

10. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
    oh you know what... you're right... i forgot to even look at the forums i was looking at that once section.. i think the database section...

11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It really does not matter because the technique will not work. The only, repeat, only benefit of doing that is that your inquiry count will be lower than it might otherwise be. Regardless of which bureau you bank pulls (and many pull two or even three depending on the case) the actual credit will be reported. The thing that will damage your score the most in this situation is "trades opened in the last twelve months" or something like that. Everyone uses a slightly different measure for recency of account opening.

As a very broad generalization one can guess which bureau will be pulled first by comparing geographic dominance of bureaux in your area. That is imperfect because some issuers have the same primary everywhere while others do vary by geography. They still frequently pull more than one. The gross rule of thumb is that TransUnion is strongest on the Southeast, Equifax in the middle of the country and Experian on the coasts. That rule is not very reliable anymore although many years ago it was.

The solution is to never be late on a payment, open new credit lines no more than twice a year, inquire only when you will open, and then only a couple times a year. Never borrow from a finance company. Keep your oldest credit lines, whatever they are open and in good status. Stay below ~60-70% on your credit lines. Don't have more than 10 total credit cards. Don't move or change jobs, unless you are buying a house rather than renting. If you're single marry, if you're married don't divorce. Whimsical advice but if you follow all that you'll end out with a typical generic bureau score of 770 or so at least, in the so-called 'prime' territory.

mht_flyer and syphlix like this.