Credit Card bonus pts for New Zealand

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Purpledog, Aug 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Purpledog

Purpledog New Member

Status Points:
    Hi! I am a complete mileage newbie - I’ve never collected miles or points with credit cards & am not a freq flyer member. Normally I only fly about once a year, usually for pleasure, domestically, on SWA from Orlando. This year I did fly Aer Lingus to the UK as well.

Over the next couple years, I am planning two trips to NZ and possibly another couple to Scotland or Eastern Europe. By opening a card or two with good bonus miles/points offer, I am hoping to take a large bite out of my upcoming airfare. The current offerfor Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World EliteTM MasterCard has 75,000 bonus miles if you spend $7500 in the first three months, and seems like it would cover one trip, but I wanted to check with you guys...

If I understand correctly, AA awards to fly to NZ is also about 75,000. If I was approved this should cover one rt economy to NZ, right? Is there usually a problem finding an awards seat & using miles? Or other problems I’m not aware of? Our credit score is good & we’d be able to make the minimum purchases, so hopefully either my husband or I would be approved. Even with the $450 credit card fee for one year, it would be a cheap ticket to NZ… But I wouldn’t be using the card beyond the initial bonus points, and would cancel after the first year. I'm looking at Chase preferred and SPG AMEX as more long-term rewards cards, but didn't want to miss this offer as a jumpstart.

I appreciate any help you can offer!
    Thanks,
    T

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if AA actually flies to NZ ... you might need to connect in Australia/Hong Kong and use QF/CX. You could use AA miles to get to Dublin or Eastern EU ... but for NZ I would probably stick with CSP at this point. Get the Freedom + Ink combo and you'll get 75k in no time.

3. Purpledog

Purpledog New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! I think that is probably the best way - build up some points with UR, & earn miles on the trip instead of using an award ticket:)

I don't think AA flies direct to NZ yet, but I believe you can use AA miles to fly QF or other partners. Probably hard to book anything but economy though...
    Thanks again