Credit card billing/interest question

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by jools1006, Jun 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jools1006

jools1006 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If your credit card statement is generated before a (rather large) return shows up, should I:

A. Still pay the full statement amount and realize the credit on the next statement
    B. Pay the statement amount minus the amount of the return

The goal is to avoid being charged interest. The contention is that if you pay anything less than the statement amount, interest will be charged.

Thanks in advance, MP'ers.
    I always pay my cards off in full regardless, but this was a point of discussion earlier.

jwsky and marcwint55 like this.
  2. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pay it in full and realize the credit next statement as most issuers go with the statement balance.

If the card is AMEX, they automatically adjust so you pay any remaining balance.

3. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with wrxmom- pay the statement balance in full and wait for the credit to post on the next statement. If you're willing to post which bank the card is with, someone here can probably say exactly how that bank deals with the situation.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most credit card agreements consider "payment in full" to include all external credits to your account before the due date. So your Option B is enough to let you avoid interest charges.
    You can still go with Option A for an extra peace of mind. Your idle cash is probably not earning you much interest anyways.

marcwint55 and jkchan83 like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    to be safe, I would call the issuer and ask for clarification on their policy as it varies.

Counsellor likes this.
  6. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    For myself, I avoid cutting it too close. It seems that often when I get too tricky or exact with my credit cards, i get burned. Then, bam, a $35 penalty. Play it safe. Pay the full amount with automatic payments.

Counsellor likes this.
  7. jools1006

jools1006 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's Chase - we use the BA Visa, Sapphire Preferred and Freedom extensively every month so this scenario occurs every month with all cards.

I always pay the statement balance in full regardless.