Credit Card application - time at job?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by LETTERBOY, May 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed that Chase and Citi (haven't noticed any other issuers doing this) ask how long you've been at your job on their application forms. Does anyone know how heavily they weigh this when deciding whether or not to give you the card? And why don't other issuers ask this?

Thanks.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Suspect that this is not a heavy hitter with regards to giving a credit card. Key is that you keep your overall FICO high.

LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  3. Redhead

Redhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is more important for those that do not have a long credit history or a borderline FICO

LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Trout Fishing in America
    Original Member

Trout Fishing in America Silver Member

Status Points:
    This makes sense to me. Additionally (and, please, someone correct me if I'm wrong) the credit card issuer is required to state why an individual was denied, if they were, in fact, denied. I've never heard someone state that they were denied based on time at employer.

To add to your list, I distinctly remember BoA asking how long I worked at my job when I got a card with them.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. Redhead

Redhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, if you are denied for a credit card you may ask the bank to give you an exact reason for the denial (it should actually be in the denial letter) and you can also ask for a free copy of your credit report