Credit Card App. question

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by jojim, Jun 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jojim

jojim Silver Member

Status Points:
    First post!

Im new to the points/miles game and I would like some advice for my next credit card apps...

I wanted to very slow so I signed up for the Chase SP last month and met the minimum spend super quick with regular purchases and AP. My points just posted to my account and it just got me even more excited about this hobby.

Here is some info:
    • Creditkarma - 720
    • Creditsesame - 796
    • I currently only have two cards (Chase SP and an old BOA I've had for over 6 years)
    • credit age is fairly new I only have those cards, a few retail cards (which I've since closed) and a moto loan which has been paid off
    • I have no debt and I NEVER have a balance carry over
    I am seeking advice on which cards are basically must haves for the long term. I know it is different for everyone depending on their goals, but I know there are some solid cards that just make sense to keep for the benefits and to help credit history. I liked the Chase card for the no foreign fees, and all the transfer partners. Are there any other recommended cards to sign up for early on in the game? Thanks! I really appreciate the advice.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whether a card's benefits are useful depends on what your needs and preferences are.

Welcome to MP.

3. jojim

jojim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply! I'll give some more background... I just didnt want to make my first post a book!

Last year I completed a life-changing event, I graduated from college and walked the Appalachian Trail from GA to ME. After having spent 5 months with everything I needed to live on my back and nothing more, I started looking at life differently. My My wife and I then got married (2 months after I returned) and went on a 5 week long road trip from FL to CA and everywhere in between. Both trips were incredible and I am so happy I did them. And now Im ruined... I cant stay still for too long without going crazy ;). I discovered miles/points hobby and I want to use the points to take my wife on an anniversary trip to Europe (anywhere over the ocean really) because we both have never even travelled internationally and I know this the only way we could afford it.

I also would love to visit New Zealand and other islands in the South Pacific. We enjoy nature and my goal for travel is visiting places that have unique landscape for hiking and other outdoor adventures. We are both not big city people and are both minimal and dont own too much, so this makes travel a lot easier.

I dont want to go completely nuts with this hobby, I dont see myself signing up for more than 2 every 3 months or so. I would just like to take advantage of some cards to be able to pay for a couple trips yearly overseas and also domestic travel to visit national parks. We are both not picky at all and are not really interested in FC are anything too fancy in our travel (I say this now, but wait till I book an awesome trip FC or BC and get spoiled!)

I plan on getting the SW cards beginning next year to take advantage of the CP for domestic trips. Is this a good idea? With my background is there any other cards that are good keepers to start off my card apps? Thanks again :)

4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on completing the trail. I live nearby and have done many short sections as a day hiker.
    My first question is where do you live? Before you decide to focus on an airline(s), you need to know which airlines serve your home airport(s).
    The second thing you definitely need to keep in mind is that Chase usually doesn't like giving out too many miles/points bonuses too fast. There are exceptions to every "rule", but since you describe yourself as having a short credit history, you probably will have to go slow with Chase in particular, and all the credit card issuers in general. Yes, you want to accumulate miles/points, but at your age especially you want to carefully build an excellent credit history.
    So, take the time to do your homework and plan a long term strategy.
    My advice is don't treat this as a sprint, treat this as a long slow hike on the AT. You will get to your destination, but you do so by taking it step by step and enjoying the journey.
    There is tons of information out there on Milepoint and various travel blogs. Be sure to assimilate it well and adapt it to your own situation. What works for others may or may not work well for you.
    My other advice is the more specific your questions are, the better the answers will be. Ask ten people what's the best card will probably elicit ten responses. Asking what's the best card if I want to fly in coach (or business or first) from airport A to airport B will get your much more detailed responses.

marcwint55 and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jojim

jojim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again, miles and smiles for the helpful advice. To answer your question, Im from Orlando (MCO) area. I am new to this and have been doing a lot of research. And you are correct with your comparison of credit cards to the AT. Im a pretty goal oriented person and that is the very reason I did so well on my long hike and have done so well (so far) with my credit. Do you think I would get approved for the chase freedom to add the quarterly 5X bonuses to my newly acquired UR points, also because it's a no AF card? And/or is this even a good strategy?

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately I know nothing about who flies out of MCO (you probably have lots of choices) and I don't know much about Chase's family of UR giving cards, so others will have to chime in with advice.
    Have you seen this list of Chase's UR giving cards?
    http://www.frequentflyeruniversity....rred-mastercard-which-cards-earn-ultimat.html

7. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not particularly wallet worthy for daily spending, but a super card to have all the same: IHG® Rewards Club Visa.

Don't overlook the hidden benefit of status-matching with other hotel chains.

8. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    +Super1

marcwint55 and miles and smiles like this.
  9. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't disagree with the credit card - the annual paid night anywhere certificate for $49 is a great value. However, what chains recognize IHG Platinum status and will do a straight status match? I'm not particularly interested in a status challenge.

marcwint55 and miles and smiles like this.
  10. jojim

jojim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at this card.

11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I would give serious thought the to American Express Starwood card. You can transfer points to almost any airline and if you transfer 20,000 points you will get an extra 5,000 miles for 25,000 miles total.

LETTERBOY and jojim like this.