Credit and Debit Card Use in New Zealand?

Discussion in 'Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific' started by Explore, Oct 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few practical questions about an upcoming trip:

- Am I going to have problems using a magnetic stripe credit card, because NZ is going to chip and pin?

- How common are merchant credit card surcharges? I generally refuse to use a CC if I have to pay a few percentage points extra, and that's even when I use a no-foreign transaction fee card like Chase Sapphire. Such surcharges negate the value of the reward points, unless you're trying to hit a threshold for a lucrative sign-up bonus. Accordingly, I generally won't use a CC in Australia, preferring to pay in cash.

- Do any banks levy a fee for ATM withdrawals using another bank's debit card? Is the forex rate generally the current interbank rate?

Thanks.....

2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chip & pin cards aren't widespread in NZ yet.

CC surcharges are hit & miss. Not as widespread as Australia, yet.

ATM fees depend on your bank's policy.

3. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having just passed through Auckland, mag strips work just fine, even on the ferries. I did not SEE originating bank fees on my withdrawals, ie the ATMs I used, I think ASB and KiwiBank, did not charge me a fee (I actually made money because my bank assumes an overseas atm charges a fee and refunds 3 if there is not an explicit one) but ymmv.

Also, AMEX was very widely accepted to the point it surprised me, it was nearly as common as it is in the US, but that might have to do with the World Cup push. Again, I did not venture further from Auckland than Kemu in the north and Orere Point in the south / east, so out side the super city i don't know.

As for surcharges I didn't see any.

4. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    this is good to know