Creative ways to get from Rome to Seattle using AS miles.

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Punki, Feb 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are flying to Rome in first on Emirates via Dubai, laying over for a couple of days in Dubai on the way.

Coming home, all we can find are BA flights through London, which get crazy expensive even on award tickets, or Air France through Paris. I tried Amsterdam on KLM. Any other ideas?

I haven't bee able to find an Emirates award flight for the return unless we take the train up to Milan which I really don't feel like doing again right now. We took the train from Milan to Florence, and then on to Livorno and down the coast to Civitavecchia in October and it was fun, but I don't want to do it again right now.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I had to do EK in F out of MXP I probably would just do it instead of paying BA exorbitant fuel surcharges.

daninstl likes this.
  3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    What about going the other way? KE via ICN?

4. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't think that is a valid routing on KE via Alaska miles. KE awards via AS chart are NA and Asia centric.

5. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe that that is the case. I tried it and was told that one couldn't just keep going around the world in the same direction, although that doesn't really make sense because in reality it would just be two one-way tickets--one SEA/ROM and one ROM/SEA. ballard flyer's answer makes more sense. I just don't think KE allows AS awards from Europe back to the US.

At the moment we are flying from Rome to Paris, spending a couple of days, and then flying Rome to San Francisco and on to Seattle. Unfortunately the long haul is a 777 with 2-3-2- seating in biz rather than the 2-2-2 they have on the A380. Is it worth switching to a CDG/LAX/SEA flight to get the A380?

daninstl likes this.
  6. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    To the first part. It isn't that KE won't let you fly that direction (EU to Asia) but rather that AS doesn't have an award chart published between EU and Asia regions for their partner KE. If you had KE miles you could do it no problem.

To the new seating question I don't think I'd fly through LAX to get 2-2-2. The biz seats are otherwise the same angle flat unless either plane can be confirmed as retrofitted to the new biz class and your flying after June 2014 which would be rare/unlikely. Also the a380 flight arrives very late into lax right?

7. fishy

fishy Active Member

Status Points:
    CX should work, but OP will need 2 tickets for that: MXP-HKG and HKG-NA

8. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would love to fly CX and love Hong Kong, but don't want to waste the miles if I have to book two separate tickets for each of us. I would rather go through Paris on AF and use the miles later to fly CX to Asia.

I guess I can call and ask if that's possible. I don't think AS shows CX flights on their website.

9. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    No AS website doesn't have CX or LA. But CX to/from EU on Alaska will be two award for sure.