Creative Award Routings

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by TheMadBrewer, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

TheMadBrewer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've booked a biz award ticket for Dear Old Dad from ATL to FRA (via JFK). It's not for a couple of weeks so I keep checking on the off chance low space opens up on the direct flight (I know, wishful thinking). I've also been checking flights to NUE because that actually is better for him. I usually get the "no flights found" message.

Well, tonight the award engine was really trying -- full points for creativity. At low levels were:

ATL-BCN-CDG-NUE and
    ATL-DUB-CDG-NUE

He might actually been interested if it hadn't been a 4+ hour layover each time.

I don't know if this always happens or if this is one of the award engine improvements we've been promised. And I am not being snarky -- I think it is good that "non standard" routings are evaluated. And with a little creative work I'm sure one of those layovers could have been stretched to 22-23 hours -- for me that is a feature not a bug (for Dad, not so much -- he is 79)

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't automatically reject award tickets because of a several hour or almost twenty-four hour layover. In your case, of course you should consider your father's age, but an overnight can be relaxing and help the jetlag if it's long enough for a good dinner and a full night's sleep without rushing to the airport for an early morning departure. Similarly, a four hour connection can be time to relax in a lounge or have a nice meal in an airport, with no worries about missing a tight connection.

3. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely. We are heading to KTM (Katmandu) in October, on awards to BOM then paid one ways to KTM. Have a 7 hour layover in NYC, giving plenty of time to get from LGA to JFK. Then a 24 hour layover in CDG, allowing for a nice sleep and a bit of sightseeing. Total travel time is about 3 days but we have the time. Best is the whole thing (round trip) was the low 120K business class level. It pays to be flexible.

4. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm still in love with my JFK-ICN-SYD/CNS-GUM-NRT-MSP-JFK from a couple years ago. Got plenty of time in every stop, too. Can't do that routing anymore, though.

5. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    By substituting the above CNS-GUM-NRT for something else to NRT, couldn't the above still be done, just for a lot more SkyPesos, perhaps even a few hundred thousand more than it was a few years ago?

6. ffI

ffI Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am sure, but if you try VA and go DL to LAX and VA to SYD and back, it is fine.
    The problem I found was for my family of 4, you cant mix VA and KE on the same award.
    You CAN mix DL and VA so you can take DL to the gateway.
    Still 150 for each one is fine with me.

GUWonder, you are slowing here, only 65 points? I expected 65k by now. :)

7. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure I could get to NRT somehow, but I did enjoy the CNS departure. That's definitely no longer an option.