Creative Award Routing

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Muerl, Feb 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey, I am not to familiar with booking AA awards, but I was curious how loosely you are able to route them?

For example would BOS-LAX-HNL-NRT be considered Valid 25k Mile (in Y)? Or am I able to fly on AS AND NH, so BOS-SEA-HHL-NRT, which I think would be both faster and more direct?

Also, this would mean a stop over in HNL as the International Gateway City? Or am I totally off base?

Thank you for the help

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You can be creative to an extent, but there are limits.

For your BOS-LAX-HNL-NRT example, you need to make sure that JL offers a fare that allows this routing. If not, AA won't ticket it.

For your BOS-SEA-HNL-NRT example, the same holds true, except NH isn't a redeemable airline with AA miles. ;) I believe you meant to say JL.

HNL can be used as an international gateway, but again, it can be difficult due to the published fare requirement.

Muerl likes this.
  3. beaktor

beaktor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Muerl, you may already have this reference handy, but I find referencing the network route map a fun exercise:

http://onw.innosked.com/?show=MAP

It might give you even more options in seeing what flights are available for each destination, to piece together.

Muerl likes this.
  4. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The map seems to tell me the answer is no, saddly. Unless I wanted to build a trip to hawaii into some other kind of trip instead.

It definitely looks like that might not be the case. I did mean JL. I was trying to be fancy and mixed up carriers ;) Is there a good way to try and find out if JL will allow this routing? Their website seems be be directed exclusively for leaving Japan.

I am think I will need to go the the other way. Buy a 1 way to Hawaii and then take the "free" trip back to boston and then on to Europe later.

Thanks for the help.

PedroNY likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    KVS can show you fare rules. I wouldn't rely on the map to give you allowable routes. it's good to see what is available but it doesn't tell you how you can route. :)

6. austinrunner

austinrunner Active Member

Status Points:
    Expert Flyer shows JL's published fares and the routing rules associated with each of those fares.