Create kids account without e-mail address?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by jaw_24, Feb 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I am trying to get a Skymiles account for each of my kids, and the website won't allow me to enter my own e-mail address in the contact info because it is already linked to my Skymiles account. (Kids don't have their own e-mail account yet, and I don't want them to be receiving marketing e-mails from Delta anyway).

So, I tried entering a Gmail alias that would still go to my inbox, i.e. John+Mary@Gmail.com will still go to John@Gmail.com, and it was denied because of the '+' character!

E-mailed Skymiles/Delta.com support and got a completely useless answer,

So, any other ideas or workarounds? If someone has a 2 y.o., do you just get them a dummy e-mail address somewhere? I'm really wanting to sign them up for the new member bonuses since we'll have several upcoming flights.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  2. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best bet is to call in on a non-WX event day and have them set them up for you. Another option is to create a free trashmail account, with a forward to your account (free accounts only last 7 days).

Good luck!

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just create gmail accounts for everyone... chances are that you'll need them for other airlines (although I don't remember if I had to set one up for my 2 year old when I created an AA account for him).

It sucks though because I was also considering using the email+skymiles@gmail.com trick to have all the mail going to the same account and categorized that way, but I guess their system doesn't allow it (or it recognizes what you're trying to do).

Either way, if you do come up with an alternative that doesn't involve a bunch of email accounts, do share :)

4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could try j.ohn@gmail, jo.hn@gmail.com, etc. Gmail ignores the '.', but Delta might recognize it as a unique email address. Another mile-related site does exactly that.

jaw_24 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also a good point... I changed my Delta account to using my gmail account (first.last@gmail.com) and it works without a problem.

I wonder however how Delta would handle multiple accounts tied to basically the same address. Maybe in their system it wouldn't matter, but when you receive confirmations to j.ohn or jo.hn @gmail, they will still be delivered to john@gmail

6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are also sites that do email forwarding using an email address on their domain.

KID1@FORWARDING SERVICE.COM---> MyEmail.address.com
    KID2@FORWARDING SERVICE.COM---> MyEmail.address.com
    KID3@FORWARDING SERVICE.COM---> MyEmail.address.com

Email Forwarding Services

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eventually they'll need/want their own email account anyway. Why not set one up and manage it for them. Log in once a month and delete everything that has accumulated if you don't expect real messages.

I set up an email account for my little nephew so I can send him video emails when I am traveling and see cool stuff (such as, uh, a backhoe in action at a construction site). He gets to watch them on his mom's iPad.

autolycus and mommypoints like this.
  8. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    And even if they want to use their own address instead of the one you pick, they may later appreciate having a more professional address available that is simply name@gmail.com, instead of something that works great for minors and for purely social content like milesandsmiles4evah@folly.com...

Now I'm going to duck and run, hoping that someone doesn't see that while he's in Hawai'i... :D

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  9. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This appears to work...

autolycus likes this.
  10. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have one already for my 6.9 y.o., but she checks it occasionally, not sure if this would be a bad thing or not. With the younger ones, probably is just me being paranoid, but I'm actually more concerned that I'll miss a targeted offer for one of their accounts because I'll forget to check it. :D

autolycus likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check here and/or FT; pretty much all the targeted offers will get noticed and posted by someone, and then you can check the actual family accounts. That's what I do.

autolycus likes this.
  12. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could set their accounts up to automatically forward to yours and then have gmail filter all their email into a folder for each child.

13. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    My mom created my SM account back many moons ago. But then again I had my own e-mail accounts so that wasn't an issue.

You could just create a G-Mail, Yahoo, or some other free e-mail account and not tell them about the e-mail account. When it's time for them to have their own e-mail address, it can be changed over.

14. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wanted to update this thread on a way that I was able to create unique Skymiles accounts for all kids without having to create unique e-mail accounts.

This works in conjunction with Awardwallet; even though Delta is not currently supported, you can use the AW mailbox feature, which has aliases for each account in the form of username.AccountNumber@awardwallet.com The process was this:
    1. Create Delta.com account for child 1. Use my username@awardwallet.com e-mail alias as the primary e-mail address (I don't know the account number yet).
    2. After getting a Skymiles number, go to Awardwallet and add the new account (not required at this time, but I did it anyway).
    3. Log into Delta.com, and change the primary e-mail address to the Awardwallet account alias, which is now username.SkymilesNumber@awardwallet.com.
    4. Repeat for next child.

The beauty of this is that Awardwallet will now forward any received e-mails to my primary e-mail address, and it will keep all of the balances up to date. We'll see how long this feature is allowed from Delta...

15. dmaestoso

dmaestoso Member

Status Points:
    Hold on :eek: this is getting wild. I figure what you'all talkin' about.Go direct with Delta Skymiles for Kids by download and print Portable Document Format file ending with "...SkyMiles Enrollment under 13." This forum won't allow me post hyperlink, so Googled it and find it. Sign it, scan it, and email or fax.
    Simple. ;) Why do you all have to make it sound like if you plan to hack an airline frequent flyer program and how? :rolleyes: Oh people.

bigx0 likes this.
  16. dmaestoso

dmaestoso Member

Status Points:
    It should starts with "Skymiles Enrollment Form" and on page 2 "Consent of Parent or Legal Guardian" which Delta explains why there is separate consent.

17. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might have missed it but this thread was "dead" for 18 months.

Still, Welcome to MP! :)

18. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will eventually, once you post a bit more. You are off to a good start.