Crazy rates for CRP to MFE rental

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by Gaucho, Sep 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... so I know this is last minute but I still feel killed... I need a 2 day rental, picking up at CRP (Corpus Christy, TX) and dropoff at MFE (McAllen, TX)... the best rate I get is $142 per day, the second day Im getting $100.

The website knows Im not a US resident so this may be the issue, the above rates I get using the AA cuad miles promo, if I dont use those codes rates are even higher.....

Any ideas...?

BTW, I havent even added the GPS Never Lost charges... this is going to turn out to be one heck of a costly rental...

Any ideas and or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Alex / Gaucho

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got any points stored up for a free day?

Other agencies?

SC Flier likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you being a non resident has anything to do with it... I'm seeing $110+ for a Kia Rio, which I'm sure is considered a hate crime somewhere.

But when in doubt, go with the cheap guys...

I did mid October with Dollar/Budget and I'm seeing $38 a day for economy, which is still bad, but certainly better than $110+

4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    PC# 168884 gets 1 free day of GPS Never Lost on a 2+ day rental.

I see $46/day + taxes/fees for a standard car without mileage included. Mileage is $0.38 per mile. If you're not actually driving many miles around each city, this might work out better. Still not great, though.

Also check prices at Avis unless you're tied to Hertz for some reason.

Budget isn't offered in CRP.

For Dollar/Thrifty, I see nice low rates ($25/day+), but they add a separate One Way fee of $270. :eek: Does anyone know a way to drop that one-way fee?

Since I don't know your exact dates, I've done my searches based on 10/2-10/4.

Gaucho likes this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks very much... my exact dates are pickup 9/30 and return 10/2....

6. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not worth trying for the quadruple miles if there are much cheaper rates. You'll get something like 800 miles for a $200 pre-tax rental, but you can knock more than $20 off the price if you can find a better CDP number. One of the AAA numbers would be better, but you might not like to use that as a non-member and non-US resident.

If you want to split it into two 1-day rentals (requiring you to return in the middle of your trip), your first day might could be a cheap $33 local weekend rental including taxes. Not sure if that fits your schedule and is worth the extra effort.

7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks very much for all the help.... this was a learning experience for me. I was too swamped with last minute details to change this, so I just bit the bullet and paid $300 ish for this rental.... ouch !!!!

Lets see how many miles I get to my AA account......

But now Ive learned for the next time....

cheers and thanks again, I have a bottle of Malbec ready for you whenever you come to EZE... Car Rental Consulting Fees....... :cool:

SC Flier likes this.