Crazy high fares - Mid-August/Early-September

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by BurBunny, May 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am needing to transit through JFK this summer, and planning on spending a couple days in the City as well. However, I'm finding unusually high UA fares on PS flights from CA. Checked to see what might be going on, i.e, Fashion Week, UN General Session, etc., and can't find anything to make sense of it.

Seeing north of 500+ for Y CA-JFK on 13, 14 or 15 August, return JFK-CA 8 September.

Am I missing some event to explain these unusually high fares? Thought you NY folks might have intelligence beyond "It's summer, airfares are increasing" that I might find on the UA threads.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure what's up but I've been planning NYC to Florida for a couple of months now and fares are ridiculously high -- compared to historic prices. I'm seeing short-term sales (before Memorial Day) for half the cost of mid/late August.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    New York in August....tourists with their kids come despite the horribly hot weather. New York in early September....better weather that attracts tourists without the kids unless they're in private school. Plus the US Open.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never understood voluntarily going to New York in August on holiday. Hot, humid - blech! I'm making the best of a forced overnight before a flight to Jo'Burg by extending an extra night, seeing friends and celebrating my birthday, but taking a family on holiday? Crazy tourists!

But thanks for reminding me of the USOpen - that is going on during my return, though can't imagine 3 days before the finals that would be the issue on flights ex-JFK. But one never knows.

ranman1973 and jbcarioca like this.
  5. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are also numerous European tourists who come here in August. They don't mind the heat and humidity particularly because the dollar is weaker than the Euro and pound.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    And because in much of Europe, August is the de facto vacation month. Campgrounds in Spain are full of Germans, and Paris is virtually closed down.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can see how that would drive up hotel and other costs, but not domestic flights.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm only referring to Analise' observation that there are lots of tourists in NYC in August.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm also finding high fares (air and luxury hotels) for weekend after Labor Day. Would have thought prices would drop a bit right after a holiday but since it's also the 9/11 anniversary I wonder if that's effecting prices??

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not really. The UN General Assembly will be opening its ~3 week session in mid September. Also, the weather in NYC gets abundantly nicer as September brings in cooler weather.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to update....I found what I think is a very reasonable rate at The London NYC. Have never stayed there but at $429 incl breakfast, we thought we'd give the hotel a try!

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are hordes of people now going to NYC from Brazil who stay at better hotels (they account for allegedly >20% of 5th Avenue sales now), India, China as well as the usual crowd of Europeans. The cheap prices compared to their domestic ones, for many of those, also drive more tourism. The moment the tourists leave the business people are back and Wall Street is doing fairly well.

I do not pretend to know the answers, but I am sure the foreigners are a big part of it.

13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that depends on their definition of "breakfast" :)

Is that rate total for a few days or per night, because that's outrageous. :) You can stay at The Barclay for a bit more than half that price and rack up a good deal of PC points in the process with their new promo.

Grab a hold of one of the Virtuoso people here and get a few perks added on top of that. Can't go wrong with that. :)

14. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    PER NIGHT? Have you thought about using Priceline? One of the things you DON'T want to do in NYC is to have breakfast in your hotel. If you're at a B&B on the coast of Maine, sure the breakfast is part of the enjoyment. But in Manhattan? Not really.

15. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Mets are in town ;)

16. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    The rate is with AmEx FHR....so potential upgrade, etc. And basic room is a 'suite'. Breakfast is, I expect, just Continental.

17. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed there. A lot of people like the all-suite concept. Their rooms are basically a regular hotel room divided to make a "suite." Service is average; as but one example, they won't put a newspaper (even USA Today) at your door, you have to walk down to the table opposite the elevators to get it, if there are any left. If there is an upgrade, it is to a higher floor or what is claimed to be a better view, but there aren't really any good views in this area of town. It's an OK hotel but by no means memorable.

I have a room at the Andaz Wall St during the first week of the US open and it's significantly cheaper at around $320. If you're willing to consider the Wall St location, you might look into it.

18. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do very much like The Andaz.....but the Wall Street location doesn't work for us this trip. I'm not expecting much luxury at The London...but the modern touches appear appealing.

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can find rates at the W New York (on Lexington) or the W Union Square form under $300. For over $400 per night, I'd expect more than The London NYC.

20. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good suggestion. And the W on Lexington looks interesting. But best rate I could find for our dates was $469 for a Queen.

21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch. There were rates around $260-270 for a cozy queen there during the first weekend in June.

Can you get AAA rates?

There are a lot of interesting boutique hotels in NYC, especially East Side. Of course, a disadvantage is that you generally don't get miles, points, or upgrades.

Have you checked the Andaz that's in Midtown, not the Wall Street one?

22. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes....that was the AAA rate. Just looked at the Andaz on Fifth Avenue....that looks wonderful too! Best rate i could find there was $520!

I really like, and appreciate your suggestions, MSPeconomist! Looks like my dates (which aren't flexible) are the problem! A week earlier shows much better rates.

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This might be a time to check the smaller boutique properties, some of less do somewhat less yield management than major chains. A normal price in such a place could be a relative bargain compared to a rack-type rate in a chain for your dates.

Bonnie likes this.
  24. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even the smaller hotels aren't showing close to better rates....and many just don't even have availability. I'm beginning to think The London is a bargain:eek:.

25. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    With rates like that, I'll reiterate....time to Priceline.

RichardInSF likes this.