Crazy Delta award offer

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Punki, Jul 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was looking for a coach ticket from Seattle to Capetown in coach for a friend.

Can you believe that Delta wanted 285,000 miles for a coach ticket??? That's crazy. The agent didn't even have a clue how much a standard coach award ticket should be.

We found it on Air France for 80,000 miles. Amazing.

2. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is madness! Delta redemptions are awful but that is another level of ridiculousness.

We've flown to Africa using AA miles two different time at 75,000 per ticket.

Cape Town is an amazing city. Enjoy!

phsu likes this.
  3. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You got ripped off, you should have spent 285,000 Skymiles, the 75,000 AA miles are more valuable ....... I am just kidding, but sometimes I feel that way ...... I booked a trip to SJD (Cabo) and I had to pick between 35,000 AA miles or 50,000 Delta miles, and I picked the Delta ones (in honesty, I am Gold on Delta, so chance of an upgrade was a factor).

ryandc99 likes this.
  4. flamingo

flamingo Gold Member

Status Points:

I start to LOVE AA -- after getting 2 FREE 1st class tickets for my wife & son to Asia this summer... Delta wants too many miles -- such a bad way for Delta to do business:(

ryandc99 likes this.
  5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only way to using rewards with Delta is not to... and use their partners. For the most part, we've had pretty good luck redeeming the miles with partners so we don't even bother checking Delta routes.

phsu and worldtraveller2 like this.
  6. worldtraveller2
    Original Member

worldtraveller2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just spent 90,000 Delta miles for PHX to SCL (santiago, chile) for my son. . . grrrrr, we go down there for 40,000 on American!

7. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    I WANT to love Delta since I'm from Georgia, but they don't make it easy :(

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You encountered a systems issue, not really a crazy pricing issue. Indeed, even a "high" economy award (recall DL has three tranches of pricing) would have been 200k round trip. (see link below) Whoever fared the award you were looking for (either you on DL.com, or a delta telephone agent) ended up inadvertently pulling at least two different awards for this trip.

Regrettably, the way to do find these long, multi segment awards on DL is to search for each individual segment in the cabin and award level that you want. If you can string a series of one way segments together in the class you want, then you're good to go to book. Otherwise, DL.com will often generate pricing which in reality is multiple awards put together.

The challenges of booking long distance award travel on DL are extremely frustrating.

It is important to complete your story, too. How much yq (fuel surcharge) did AF hit you with?

http://dmn.delta.com/skymiles/direct/charts/us49/

bez7 likes this.
  9. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is DL collecting YQ for AF now? I thought they only did that on (some) itineraries that originated outside the US under the "International Surcharge" banner. A definitive list of which carriers/region pairs DL collects YQ on would be nice. (KE EU-Australia=No, MH Australia-EU=Yes is my contribution.)

10. Here is an example of recent booking TATL BE award on AF using DL.com:

Tax: 230.00 TX FP A/CUSD0.00/TL230.00
    Total: 230.00 USD Org Tkt 006xxxxxxxxxxx
    Org FOP Free

Mileage Details
    Original Miles: 100000

VALID ON DL/SM OAL/NON-REFUNDABLE/PN

Detailed Tax Information

Total Tax: 230.00 USD
    XA 5.00 XY 7.00 YC 5.50 FR 58.40 QX 40.40
    RI 13.50 DE 6.70 OY 64.80 RA 21.20 AY 7.50

I don't see any YQ in taxes.

sobore and mtkeller like this.
  11. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was looking at an award flight with Delta and the agent quoted me over 400,000 miles for business class. I said you have to be kidding and he said no, that's what the screen is telling me. Delta does a great job to make a profit on teh backs of its most loyal customers.

12. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, DL does a great job offering awards on partners. This is going to sound odd, but the furthest dates out don't give the best fares. You can do much better close to date (oddly). Cape Town is beautiful. I do recommend the on/off bus tour. I think it is grey line. One of the stops is an awesome zoo, which is primarily a bird sactuary, but you can feed moneys buy hand.

13. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    If by "great job" you mean "happily books you on them if you call to ask, since you can't find availability online", then I guess you're right. (EF is great, but the two carriers I wanted most for my latest redemption, KE and MH, don't show business award availability there.) I'm quite happy to have scored LHR-MEL//SYD-LHR in J all the way for December for 150,000 SkyMiles, but I really don't think I should have had to spend so much time with EF finding availability on CZ and KL as backups in case KE and MH didn't work out.

NYBanker likes this.
  14. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least KM and AF I do find online. I've never looked to go to Asia, so I can't speak to KE or MH. I only looked at OZ once, that was 250K in J (which I think is mid-grade award).

15. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    AF, KL, and AS are the only partners you can find on DL.dumb, unfortunately. Further, DL.dumb seems to have a preference for producing mid or high DL metal options over AF/KL options that price out at low unless you know what flights you're looking for and use multicity/search by schedule. Many other partners can be checked using ExpertFlyer, and airfrance.us can find some routings using VN or CZ, I've found. To get to Australia from the US, VA and KE are probably the best options, neither of which can be checked for inventory available to SkyMiles redemptions via any means other than calling DL and asking.

16. snc1019

snc1019 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. They seem to have set the mileage requirements so high in an effort to burn up the members miles faster. Not real happy about this!