Craziness in the sky today...

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by rwoman, Apr 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

Well, here's what happened on my LHR-ATL flight today.

I was seated on 18E, an aisle seat in the middle section and the last row of EC on the 764. The middle seat was open and a nice lady who frequently visits the UK from AZ was in the other aisle seat.

There was a couple seated behind me and the husband, a rather large individual, was seated in the aisle seat directly behind me. Once airborne, his wife crawled out over him and returned with juice as he was diabetic and needed some food or juice. She then proceeded to crawl over him again, pushing my seat forward, causing me to turn around and ask her to be a bit easier with the seat. He then abruptly came toward me from his seat, telling me not to speak to his wife and that he needed the juice. He also motioned as if he'd throw his juice at me twice.

It is the first time in nearly 700k miles with Delta (or in life) I felt bullied and thought I was going to be assaulted on a plane by another passenger.

Concerned and upset, along with a sense of disbelief, I let the FA's know what he'd done. The wife tried to play up the fact he was a diabetic, but I'm not sure it justified his behaviour towards me.

Later in the flight, the same man became agitated by the person in 18F who was typing on their laptop. He began tapping a piece of plastic on my armrest and when I turned around to see if there was an issue, he mumbled something about not understanding why the typing did not bother me; I wear noise cancelling headphones and returned to watching a movie. He stopped for a few minutes and then began heavily messing with and tapping on his tray table with the piece of plastic, again commenting on the typing. The passenger in 18C proceeded to let the FA's know of this incident, but he was quiet by the time they came up to our row.

The crew on my flight made a concerted effort to address the situations with this passenger professionally and promptly. It was certainly one of the more unusual series events I've had happen on any flight!!

Alright, time to get some sleep after a frustrating day!!

Who needs fiction when reality can be crazy??
    :)

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    so it was your time, the odds were stacked it was bound to happen sooner or later.
    it doesn't but from the sounds of it, the husband & wife believe their behavior is justified.:rolleyes:

Travelsavant, Aktchi, bobsgt and 3 others like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's funny because I said the same thing last night. ;)

4. traveller99

traveller99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It
    It's bound to happen at some time or another. Just a question of when. I see your measured response to the situation appropriate and non-confrontational. When the response is other than that, the situation usually deteriorates rapidly. Sorry you had to go through it.

Travelsavant, USAF_Pride and rwoman like this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was very challenging to remain restrained and I wanted to rail on the guy, but would it be worth creating an incident that would likely end badly? At 35k feet it was not worth the risk. When the guy bought Toblerone from duty free and proceeded to chow down, I wanted to ask if diabetics should do that...among othe frivolous snide comments that I thought but kept to myself.

6. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    So the loud mouth behometh with the undersized North Dakota t-shirt that disrupted the majority of the club in DFW wasn't the guy on your flight :mad:. Definetely a kettle as the 4 other people that came into the club with him were in awe and stated they had never been in a club before.

Unfortunately he was seated directly behind me and used my seat as a hand hold every time he stood up, causing the seat to deflect quite a bit. After asking him not to do that, the last time I just held the seat recline button down and when he tried using the seat as leverage, he had quite a shock when there was no longer support to pry his oversized butt back in the seat. (Yes, I was seated in Y and I believed Shena made me move from #1 to #4 on the list with 5 minutes left before the upgrades processed). I think he thought he broke the seat as I left it reclined the rest of the flight, which is something I normally don't do.

7. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done this before.
    One time, the guilt lasted for almost sixty-five seconds!

8. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was supposed to feel guilt? :cool:

9. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps that's only for non-comissioned officers...

10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    We don't feel guilt...;)

11. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have that right!! We work for a living!

Travelsavant, bobsgt and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    us-nuke-bomb-crew-caught-napping.jpg

:D:rolleyes:

Travelsavant and USAF_Pride like this.
  13. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hate people some days. It really bothers me when people use a disability or medical condition as an excuse to be a jack#*$.

14. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find it particularly funny that someone who is bothered by another passenger's typing is making a loud repetitive noise himself. I guess he is a firm believer in the idea that two wrongs DO make a right.

15. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    As the popularity of supplemental testosterone among the overweight and mature male population rises (the Low-T phenomenon), so too does the number of otherwise laid back men who find themselves turning aggressive over petty incidents. Just a thought. There's a greater likelyhood that he was just a rear facing orifice or that your tone came across as overly aggressive to him.

16. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    "North Dakota" as in the Fighting NoNicknames or as in just the state? If he's a Fighting NoNicknames fan, this is unsurprising. If it's just a generic shirt about the state, I sure hope he's not actually a North Dakotan. If he is, I'm thinking I should suggest that the legislature consider forcing him to move to another state before he gives the rest of us natives a bad reputation. (Aside: It makes me sad thinking that I'll have to get a non-ND driving license and register to vote for the first time in my life (and yes, I've voted in every election save one inconsequential primary election in the last 12 years) in less than four months.)

17. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you studying for the Literacy Test? Do you have your poll-tax money ready? :eek::D

18. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generic North Dakota shirt. In all my travels, "those people" exist in all States/Countries.

Travelsavant and LETTERBOY like this.
  19. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's these moments that remind you just how well-behaved and courteous most people are.

I recently visited my advisor from grad school, and she mentioned that on a recent flight she had ended up in economy comfort...with a group of guys all headed to Ireland with the express goal of remaining drunk for the entire trip. The free booze was flowing, and not a very relaxing overnight flight!

Apparently noise-isolating headphones at least took care of the chatty (and drunk) seatmate on the return flight!

Whenever I'm on a loud flight, I'm always thankful for my UltimateEars, which isolate noticably more than any noise cancelling headphone I've ever tried, and even more importantly handle irregular sounds like talking in addition to cancelling out the drone.

rwoman, aptraveler and Travelsavant like this.
  20. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're not flying somewhere this evening, you should watch 20/20's theme issue called "Plane Crazy" about the craziness in the skies!

rwoman, aptraveler and Travelsavant like this.
  21. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did watch the 20/20 show you recommended and all I could think about was the post from rwoman, which I had just read yesterday. After watching the kind of unruly behavior that was shown, I sincerely appreciate even more the kind of restrain 'rwoman' had in dealing with the jerk on her LHR-ATL flight. I feel fortunate that in all my travels I have never had to experience the kind of 'crazy' situations that were displayed and that are becoming more common occurrences nowadays. Lucky me I guess, :)

traveller99, chaz4449 and rwoman like this.
  22. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    My sister, who travels some and has moved on from kettle status, said she probably would have unloaded in the guy. To me, he wasn't worth creating a significant incident over and, had it gone really wrong forcing a landing or something considering there was seven hours to go to ATL when it all began. I wouldn't want to be part of the reason for people asking, "Why did DL 9 divert last Thursday??" ;)

There are only a couple of times I've been as rattled as I was on that flight...when I almost got hit by a bus on Oxford St. in London when legally crossing the road and during my last military deployment to Afghanistan when we were rocketed and I was within 50 yards of the impact site.

23. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, my hats is off to you, for being considerate of others, and for probably being wise in not wanting to be part of the 10 o'clock news, if you had not restrained yourself. But now that I know, for serving our country in Afghanistan! So, welcome home then, and enjoy it being stateside again. This simply from a grateful citizen. ;-)

LETTERBOY likes this.