CrashPlan for Backups

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by joesmoe, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    If anybody out there is using CrashPlan as part of their backup strategy, I have it deployed on about a dozen machines around my house as well as at a data center.

If anyone is interested in trading some space for backups (i.e. I'll push backups to your computer, you push backups to mine) i'm more than willing, just shoot me a pm.

It takes <10 minutes to setup, is available on mac, windows, as well as linux.

piqaro likes this.
  2. Hey Josemoe,

Interesting, I've never heard of this. It's kind of like P2P backup :).

It looks like you can encrypt the backed up file(s), is the traffic also encrypted? Can you use your own encryption certificate or do you simply type in a password like Acronis True Image?

Is the backup Point 2 Point or Point to cloud/server Point?

Can you do Full Metal/Bare Metal backups as well?

3. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure about the full metal/bare metal.

And unfortunately it is point 2 point, which kind sucks, i wish it were point to cloud (i.e. I transfer the files once, and then the other peer replicate it.

4. Thanks Joesmoe,

I'm going to take a closer look at it.

5. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have anything else worth looking at? The more I use crashplan, the less I like it.

6. To be honest, I take a different approach then most for backup. I'm a huge advocate of Bare Metal Backups (via Acronis True Image) and 'Snapshots' (via Rollback RX).

Employing this strategy I can take a 'Gold baseline Image' with Acronis and in case my drive fails I can be up in a matter of minutes as if nothing happened (simply restore the Gold Image to a new drive). With Rollback RX I can take a system snapshot, test software/hacks/tweaks/etc., without fear that my system will become unstable; worst case scenario something breaks and I revert to the snapshot before the change(s) were made in a matter of seconds.

I work in IT and system speed, availability and stability are of the utmost concern to me; my main system (Dell XPS m1730) had been up and running without a reboot for eight months (I had to reboot due to W7 SP1).

To top it off I make one 'full backup' of my data (D: drive) and then four differentials, and then I rinse and repeat.

My needs don't really call for having my data avilable in the cloud (although I can access my systems via the web if need be) so YMMV.