Crap.... my house was broken into this afternoon.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jim, Mar 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    and I am 400 miles from home. Not a call you want to get in the middle of a meeting.

:mad:

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear this. :(

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    That sux! Hope no one was hurt, stuff can always be replaced its just a PITA to do it

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am out of town, wife was at work. I will wait til I get home to do the full assessment.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope that the police and your insurance company were notified immediately. You have my sympathies.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear of your trouble. But at least you or your wife were not home at the time. Things can be replaced.

Hope your insurance company treats you well. We had a "minor" fire in our house a few years ago and everything worked out OK with the insurance company but it did take work on my part to make sure that we were kept whole. If you need some tips on dealing with the insurance, please send me a note.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, we have a 1K deductible. Insurance is with USAA. I don't know that we will file a claim. Apparantly, the alarm scared them off. I want to see the damage to the door and carpet.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Jim, that's terrible; I'm really sorry to hear it.
    Things like that leave a real sense of being violated, of your private space no longer being a safe nest.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    After this happened, I find out there has been a rash of break-ins in the neighborhood. I wish they would have told me that before. :eek:
    Time to "gun up."

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The good part is that you're with USAA. The bad part is that you need them. I too am sorry you have had this happen. Bummer!

bakedpatato and Tenmoc like this.
  11. lipton
    Original Member

lipton Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh no! That really aint good news. Get a dog. It will scare them off next time.

12. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jim, very sorry to hear this. I believe we are both way, way up North of ATL, albeit I'm further west of you. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help out. Also, if there is any good information to share about the thieves (cars, descriptions), please share so we can alert folks.

13. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jim, I'm sorry to hear the bad news. Hope you don't have much of a loss. :(

14. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Jim, sorry to hear this as well. Happened to me once a long time ago and I've never been able to shake that feeling. Nice to see a fellow member, diver90, offer some help locally. Let's hope that today, the next and the next are all much better for you. Cheers.

15. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear this Jim. Thankfully your wife was not at home. Anytime something like this happens there is a feeling of being "violated". The good news is that no one was hurt and anything else is just stuff and can be replaced.

16. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jim, I am so sorry for you. It is disconcerting knowing your personal space has been invaded. Take good care,

g

17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear... same happened to me last year but they only took the XBOX.

Left about half a dozen laptops, several desktops, flat screens, the works. My guess it was some kid from the area. Of course the cops came and dusted/took pictures, but they're not gonna chase after anybody for a console.

Hopefully you'll have the same luck and they didn't take anything of value, although I understand the effects of being broken into last for a while (my house is a fortress now :) ).

Good luck.

18. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're being watched almost everywhere you go, airports, hotels, roadways, the list goes on and on. But who's watching the home place when you aren't there? When an alarms scares them off" or not, a camera system will let the authorities see who it is. And you can view the cameras from the internet. I don't leave home with out it.

19. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear that. My house was broken into once when I was living at home with my parents. It is a really weird, horrible feeling. :(

20. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear this Jim. As said at least you have USAA. Hopefully the damage is mostly cosmetic and you won't need them.

21. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    my home was broken into not too long ago. once that happened, i get paranoid - coz your home is supposed to be the safest place...at least i used to think like that...so after the break-in, i just don't feel right. Since you are out of town, you might not feel this way, but your wife could - make sure she's alright - what i did after the break-in - bought an alarm system - bought cameras with online monitoring, changed all locks, added a front metal gate to the main entrance....yes i m totally paranoid...good luck dealing with your situation.

22. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear the bad news!

One thing to keep in mind regarding burglar alarms is to have the phone company demarc inside the home somewhere, instead of on the outside where a thief could disable the line.

23. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ya Jim. I feel for you too. I have had some similar type? issues happenening around here lately too. Just takes time to to get back to a positive mental state regarding the rest of humanity as well. sigh

24. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    So sorry, Jim. We had that happen about 30 years ago and it is a creepy feeling. Hope things aren't too bad.

25. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    So sorry. Happened to me the one time I decided to drive to FL and we got the call on the first day of vacation so had to drive back (2 days) with small kids. It gives you a horrible feeling afterward.