Cramped airline seats may spark fights, health concerns

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Apr 15, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cramped airline seats may spark fights, health concerns

iolaire likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Consumer panel investigates whether cramped airline seats could be dangerous to passengers

iolaire and MX like this.
  3. linusyanez

linusyanez Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  4. LittleYHZ

LittleYHZ Member

Status Points:
    I think its frankly just the way things are going to be. The reality is the airline industry has made about zero dollars ever until this year. And unless governments and such want to get involved with further bailouts using money they themselves do not have, then they will have to let the airlines install standing or roller coaster seating if they think it will improve profits.

uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Until we hear more about the negative social / health issues arising which bring the problems in regards to space issues / overcrowding to forefront again in the press, at least for a time. IMHO, I believe the airline industry does earn money, billions of $$$$ in fact and with this in mind I would urge airlines and regulators alike to start passengers as human being again, not only as "walking CC's". It's imporant as a airline to offer "value" and while they're a business, it's equally important to take care of costumers too and this incl. passengers, no-one wants nor needs negative social situations on planes, I guess the airlines will understand when such problems might arise again in the future.

Counsellor likes this.
  6. LittleYHZ

LittleYHZ Member

Status Points:
    They do right now. But historically have not. Outside of Southwest nobody has been consistently profitable over the past 30 years. Here in Canada we had a government owned Air Canada until the 90s. It stumbled through the 90s before going bust in 2003. And then stumbled through the 2000s almost going bust agin. The last 2 years are the only years in its 77 year existence that it has made a profit. The same is true of a great many other airlines.

Yes I think there is a need to fully understand the health implications. But I also think we need to be careful as the industry has historically done poorly for a number of reasons including: a.) Its easier to start an airline than it should be because USA for Boeing, Europe for Airbus, Brazil for Embraer, and Canada for Bombardier basically give 90-100% loan guarantees to anyone buying their local hero's planes. b.) Some governments still own their airlines and run them at break even/loss making. C.) a litany of other factors including but not limited to fuel, business complexity, the economy, unions, etc.

Its a tough business.

Counsellor and uggboy like this.
  7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I don't disagree that it's a tough business operating an airline, the central government has interfered with the market so much that one cannot rely on the market to operate as it should, nor on state/local consumer protection laws to protect the consumer. This leads to the airlines' attitude that passengers are simply self-loading cargo rather than human beings.

At the rate we're going, and at the pace airlines are merging, I foresee treatment of airlines as regulated monopolies similar to utilities in the not too distant future. Whether that makes things better or worse for the consumer/passenger remains to be seen.

uggboy likes this.