CR200 removing seats 3-4 A and D, whats up????

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by AZjohn, Oct 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

Noticed the other day that the CR200 seat map had removed seats 3A, 3D, 4A, and 4D. I don’t mean showing them not available, I mean just flat out gone????

I just chalked it up to dot bomb doing the screwy little things they do, but reports from another site is having some report that they have actually been removed from these seats at check in and moved further towards the back.

Sadly, flying in/out of TUS I have the pain of having to fly these miserable planes. I do have seat 3A reserved next to my wife in 3B next month but it still shows me in 3A (though the map doesn’t show a physical seat there????). Does anyone have any recent experience with this?

Thanks,
    John

cordray2643 likes this.
  2. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was just on a CRJ-200 this week and the seats were there, not sure what is up!

3. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for miscommunication, the seats are missing from the seat map only, not the airplane. BUT, was anyone seating in them on your flight? Other's have wrote they were moved out of them at check in.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw this on my seat maps the other day and briefly considered booking the "single" but then decided to take the exit row instead. I doubt the seats are being pulled out of the planes.

5. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I seriously doubt that too. In fact as I said I thought this is all a little software glitch until I read about a passenger physically moved to another seat at check in. This whole thing makes no sense to me at all.....

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there any extra leg room at the exit row on the CRJ-200? I avoid that aircraft if I can, so it's been a while, but my memory was that the exit row seems to have the same seat pitch as every other seat on that aircraft

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, this is getting strange. Found another post on the web that said:

Gate agent told me today that seats 3/4 a and d can only be released once 46 out of the 50 seats are checked in!

8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe it is a weight/balance issue - by putting this restriction they reduce the likelihood of having to move passengers back?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a W&B issue, They will now block 4 seats off on the CRJ2 until OLCI Window...

AZjohn likes this.
  10. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, then we are we talking about 8 seats all together before OLCI? If I remember correctly they hold 1A,B,C,D until a day before departure too.

I'll play by their rules, just let me know when and how you change those rules :)

catgirl likes this.
  11. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This actually makes sense, prevent people from becoming attached to their seats before you even have an idea what the load is going to be. While there are still going to be some last minute changes, this at least makes it easier to adjust when needed

12. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I noticed it as well this week, after being forced to book a few flights on that wretched excuse for an airplane. :mad: I wondered what was up. If I didn't seriously need the extra 0.25" of legroom row 8 provides, I would be booking one of the aisle seats in those rows, hoping for an empty window seat next to me.

13. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just wish they would replace all the CRJ200s with ERJ145's. At least the ERJs have one row that is decent

mht_flyer, AZjohn, ssullivan and 2 others like this.
  14. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thought CRJ200s would be tail heavy because that's where all the luggage goes, thus you'd need more weight in the front of the cabin.

15. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    No there isn't extra space. I book the closest aisle to the front, personally, to get off quickly.

16. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a tiny bit of extra pitch in the exit row - maybe an inch at most. It's not much, but there is slightly more space there. However, the window seat in the exit on the CRJ is just awful. The window exit eats up a couple of inches of shoulder room.

17. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    So true. The CRJ always feels like it's struggling to get in the air and climb, especially when full, or on a hot day, or at high altitude. Combine all that into a single flight and you get what happened to me on departure from LBB on a hot day a few years ago with a full passenger load, a lot of luggage, and a couple of lap babies - the aircraft lifted off, bounced back down onto the runway, and then lifted off again before slowly starting to climb. It was one of the few times I've ever been truly scared for my life on a plane. We used up nearly foot of the runway getting in the air that afternoon.

18. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not even an inch, they just get the illusion of extra room because the seat is one inch shallower on the bottom.

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In case anyone cares, this is what it looks like online:
    [​IMG]

Scottrick likes this.
  20. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I care, Seth. You are always reliable for the facts. A picture's worth a thousand words.

21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Happy to help. I actually snagged that screen shot on Tuesday or Wednesday and then was out of town and it was on the "other" computer so I forgot I had it until I got home.

rggale likes this.
  22. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I figured out what people were talking about, but Seth's picture was helpful. I get your point though. In the past UA would do something like say the exit row seats were occupied even though they weren't, and that was a good way of controlling where people could sit. But now the seats are absent entirely.

Do you think maybe this is because UA's system is unable to place phantom passengers in a seat and call it occupied, so they've engineered this substitute? In the case of exit rows and E+, it seems like the computer is just told to offer those seats to certain passengers and not offer them to other passengers based on status. But when you want to block those seats from ALL passengers, maybe that sort of command doesn't work.

Or maybe UA has made a decision to never fly with those seats occupied as a way to control capacity as well as weight. But that sounds like one of my stupid brainstorming ideas because it's giving up potential revenue, and it was able to operate those planes at full capacity in the past without going overweight.

23. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a bizarre looking seatmap. What are there wheelwells under 3/4AD? Sure would look more nromal if they were greyed out like 1ABCD

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe UA.com does the same for the FA rest seats 17HJ-20HJ on certain 777 models (even if they are not needed and released closer to departure).

25. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct....no advantage to exit row on the 200.

I always wait for the OLCI window to get Row 1, or as I call it "Polish First Class."