CR2 with three rows of E+?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Jan 28, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    crj_eplus.png

Is this a new thing that the first three rows on a CRJ 200 are classified as E+ ? Did they really change anything?

2. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing new - just blocking for Elite as far as I could tell on my November '14 flight that showed this. I was in row 4 because others traveling with me were non-elite gate lice.

theBOAT

3. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most assuredly, the CR2 has nothing even close to resembling E+. It is still a piece of batman aircraft that should be tossed back into the depths of hell from whence that devilspawn originally came.

webdes03, monitor and Steve GadFly like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do they actually sell those "E+" seats to non-status flyers?

5. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope.

6. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only the first row is classified as E+ (blue seat). And oh yes, they are most definitely upselling them to non-elites. :rolleyes:

The blue band (rows 2-3) are just "preferred" seats for elites.

But it's really just a torture chamber with wings. :eek:

7. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    QFT.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    But it isn't as amusing as US where they randomly pick seats near the front of the Evil Spawn of Kenjet and tack on a random sum of money that you can pay to select to sit in these "preferred" seats.:rolleyes: (which are absolutely no better than any other seat on the evil plane).

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was 100% convinced that the available seats in rows 2+3 were blue seats as well when I booked my wife into one of them (not the screenshot above, that was my booking).

Alas, I just tested it and indeed they are white seats.

I don't think I had heard about "preferred" seats for elites on United (other than GF). Don't think there is an elite of any status that would label these four seats "preferred" :-/

10. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fixed that for you...

11. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does US still have those itchy as f**k, groovy cloth seats on theirs? Made the mistake of flying in shorts on a US CRJ about 4-5 years back, and never felt so dirty after my bare legs touched that cloth. It felt like sitting in burlap... all sorts of crevices to collect things you don't want to touch.

12. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seats seem to be made of the usual genuine imitation leatherette seen on most of these birds. I will have to check more closely in 2 weeks when I again get to do the Evil Spawn of Kenjet routes.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  13. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was a number of years back, but I found a picture linked off someone's trip report on airliners.net... these were the old US CRJ cloth seats I remembered...

These older birds used to serve BGM a lot when I lived up there.

[​IMG]

14. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The seats on my US CRJ don't look like those.

Flyer1976 and webdes03 like this.
  15. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    You would think the CR2 was constructed as a practical joke on the world by the Canadians. Cheeky buggers. :p

16. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank gawd... they weren't pleasant...

I would have hoped that if those old birds were still around they'd have been retrofitted by now anyway.

17. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    No practical joke involved. They're sadistic bizzatches.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  18. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:

I haven't seen these seats on US Express when I started flying them in 2005. ;)

19. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They were certainly around then. I had the good old cloth on a BGM-PHL trip back in 2010 when I came to NC to interview for a job. As I recall from my above/below wing days with OH in BGM... it was only a portion of the older ZW fleet that was fitted with those horrible things.

The CRJ and I have a checkered past. During my college days I worked for Comair (for almost 4 years) both above and below wing. Comair was the North American launch customer of the CRJ, and ship 7012 was the first CRJ delivered to Comair in 1993. In my days (2004-2008ish) we would frequently see ship 7013 in BGM... it was one of the most beat up airplanes in the fleet, and it's worth noting that even that wasn't as bad as those cloth seats on the ZW fleet ;).

Those old airplanes HATED the cold, but yet OH insisted on sending them to upstate NY in the winter. We used to have to hot turn them all the time, because they'd send us a ship with an INOP APU, but denied every request we made to get an airstart cart. The few times the pilot didn't get the message, and shut down, we had to solicit US Express to bring over their cart and airstart us. The cold weather stuff got so bad that they took 2-3 agents from each station to CVG for Aircraft Start-up training, so we could warm up the aircraft ahead of the pilots arriving in the morning (myself being one of the lucky few). I can recall starting 7013 on several occasions where immediately after start-up, the captain PFD, first officer PFD, and standby PFD would all show conflicting airspeeds (while stationary on the ramp). It usually took about 30 minutes for everything to warm up, then they'd slowly equalize just before the crew walked on board.

We also had an issue with 7018 (I think it was 7018) where the RAT deployed on the ramp during GPU disconnect. Ground agent wasn't synced up with the pilot, aircraft was still consuming ground power, and he pulled the plug. The sensor failed that's supposed to prevent the RAT from deploying if the gear is down, and the RAT shot out of the nose just missing the guy who pulled the plug (since the RAT door is no more than a few feet above the GPU connection door).

As much as I hate the CRJ, I have a lot of pretty cool memories from those days, and it's pretty fun to sit in the left seat of any commercial aircraft every morning.