CPU seat assignment issues

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, May 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm back to flying some domestic flights and the CPU process appears to be working. But every time I get a CPU and I look at my reservation it will show no seat assignment. When I pull up the seat map and select a seat and then click 'Continue' I'm brought back to my reservation with a red warning that seat assignments are not possible and to select one at check-in.

The problem is my reservation then shows a seat assignment into a seat that was already showing booked on the seat map (e.g. 1B). I can go back into the seat map and select the seat I wanted (e.g. 1A) and the seat assignment sticks.

Anyone else noticing this? It happens 100% on domestic flights now for me.

-Rob

8MiHi likes this.
  2. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    The same exact thing happens to me when I try to select a seat as soon as the upgrade comes through. If I wait until the system auto-assigns a seat (usually from a few minutes to an hour or so), it works the way it should.

8MiHi likes this.
  3. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I went to the seat map about 3 hours after I got the CPU.

-Rob

8MiHi likes this.
  4. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm....maybe the CPU sweep and the seat auto-assignment sweep aren't playing nice.

5. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Saw this only when the CPU came in after check-in. Tomorrow's upgrades came in without seat assignments for me or my wife, but they showed up a few hours later.
    My flight last Tuesday showed no seat assignment but did show upgrade confirmed. When I got there, they did not have a seat for me in any class. I ended up back in E+ (after significant work by the UC Agent to keep my wife's seat next to mine) with a nice travel certificate. It was interesting to watch the reactions of the agents who expected me to blow up. When I didn't, they worked even harder to straighten things out for me.

KenInEscazu and TravelerRob like this.
  6. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A little more data on this. I continue to receive CPUs on many flights and I continue to not have seats assigned via the itinerary on United.com. I just got an upgrade for a flight 4 days away (96 hour window) and before I chose a seat through United.com I loaded the mobile.united.com upgrade list for my flight. Sure enough I'm on the list *with* an assigned seat. However, going to United.com shows I have no seat assigned. So when I chose a seat through the seat map and clicked continue I got back to my itinerary page which showed the seat that mobile.united.com said I was already in, not the new one I chose. Back to the seat map to choose the seat I wanted and it stuck the second time.

So United is upgrading me and giving me a seat assignment but that seat assignment is failing to get to the reservation somehow. Not sure how mobile.united.com would show me assigned to a particular seat but the reservation on United.com wouldn't show that data.

-Rob

7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen this issue for quite some time now. It's an irritation, but I'm obsessive enough to eventually resolve it. Maybe next time I'll try 8MiHi's method! Depends on just how much I value the UG on that particular flight. ;)

8MiHi likes this.